Nice bag at SR, solo, 06Dec09

From: "Jaro Cerny"
Subject: Fishing Today 6/12/2009
Date: Sunday, 6 December 2009 3:34 PM

Hi Yakkers,

It was with trepidation that I ventured to MG at 4.15am as Double Island Point wind was still around 15 knots but appeared to be falling. No worries... the sea was calm. I was not totally alone as Ian Tagg's car was there so I knew at least one other yakker was on the water.

My judgement going out left a little be desired as I found myself confronted with a big wave... there was no escape so I paddled furiously into it and got thoroughly drowned but still upright and out into clear water. It had a good benefit as the evaporation helped keep me cool during the paddle out to SR.

The view back to MG

The paddle out was uneventful and I arrived at SR at Kevin's inshore spots at 5.25am. I proceeded to fish... and fish... and fish with not a semblance of a bite but the scenery was good as were the conditions as shown below.


I decided to go further out to sea to SR3 at 8.00am (SR2... Kevin's notation) and spent another fruitless 40 minutes during which time I went to call Kevin on my VHF and found that it was not working due to water in it... bugger.

I had decided to pull up stumps on this last drift at 9.00am and with 10 minutes to go and just pulling in my casting rod line for the final cast when BANG the trailing line rod with pilchard was pulled off the rod holder onto the side of the kayak and the tip bent into the water. I grabbed the rod before it could go into the water and the fight was on. Shortly after I boated a lovely fat 59cm snapper.

The 59 cm snapper (note the beautiful colours)

I then decided to drift over this spot +/- 150 metres and after a couple of drifts, bingo my casting rod tip took a dive downwards and after a good fight another snapper (about 50cm...not measured) was boated. It put up as strong a fight as the bigger snapper so I was only a little disapointed it did not turn out as large.

By this time the wind had picked up and white caps appeared so I decided to pull up stakes at 9.50am and as I was pulling in my trailing line I had a strike and after a short tussle boated a schoolie mackeral (60cm+ long).

The school mackerel... note the spots make it look like a spotty mac but the distinguishing mark is a black area on the front of the dorsal fin. Also note the lip gripper attached around the wire clip on the jaw of the fish.

I have been using the lip gripper to boat the fish and found it to be better in most instances than the gaff... less harmful to the fish, makes hook removal so much easier and the fish is more easily handled throughout. If you do not have one I would highly recommend you get one.

The trip back was hard as the seas had become quite rough and it was now very windy. I landed ashore without difficulty at 11.10am to then be surrounded by many envious and interested bathers.

The three fish... you can just make out the 60cm just beyond the tail tip of the snapper

And of course the story would not be complete without a bathing beauty adding appeal to the picture of the fish.

Good luck to those going out tomorrow and/or Tuesday. I will be an absentee. I suggest you go out to the marks further out to sea at SR. I did not see Ian Tagg at all so I have no idea how he went but his car was gone when I arrived back.

Cheers

Jaro
Noosa Yakkers Coordinator
Viking Pro Fish 45
Call Sign Jaro

Comment from Ian (eyetag)
G'day all, today I had a quick session at Little Halls and caught 1 Spotty 70cm about half way to LH, 1 Squire 43cm and 2 small Maori Cod. Things were pretty quiet and I left as soon as the wind started blowing from the North.
ps, I'm not if this was sent to everyone or just Kevin, my computer skills still amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment