spotties, 23Dec09

From: "Jaro Cerny"
Subject: Fishing Report----23/12/2009
Date: Wednesday, 23 December 2009 11:56 AM

Hi Yakkers,

I was at MG shortly after 4.00am and on a beautiful, clear, calm day ventured easily into Laguna Bay. Shortly after Dr Dog (Mark) called to say he was about to launch and that he could see Doug coming from the eastern end of Main Beach. So I waited and soon all three of us were ready to go. There was a lot of bird activity and of fish boiling in the bay but it was soon obvious that they were small bonitos and so we headed towards where Doug had his success yesterday... in the Little Halls Reef (LHR) direction. On the way I caught 3 bonitos which were proving to be a nuisance so I stopped trolling for a while. Near LHR Doug and Mark opted to stay close inshore while I ventured further out where there were already a lot of boats. It was while trolling very close to where I had caught the big Spaniard that I had a massive strike on my trusty lure. The pull on the rod was so hard I had trouble extricating the rod from the rod holder and just as I had got the rod clear the fish had relieved itself from my lure... bugger.

At around this time Turtleboy (Steve) made radio contact. However, we could hear him but he couldn't hear us and this caused no end of frustration to all parties. There was quite some fish and bird activity but no hook ups. Doug and Mark said they would continue to work inshore while I decided to follow the boats to Halls Reef (HR) all to no avail. I decided to head back and ask Mark how he was doing... he told me he had boated 2 spotties. Hearing this I paddled to his location where there were now many boats. On arrival I found Mark, Steve (whose VHF was now working) and would you believe, Bill Barnett. Doug had already headed back home and as far as Mark knew, had no fish (correct us if this is incorrect Doug). I sauntered over to Mark and had him get out his fish for photos... and here they are.

Mark with one of his spotties.

And here he is with both his spotties looking very triumphant and so he should as he was the only successful yakker today

Anyway, even though there was bird activity and many bonitos boiling the waters no more fish were caught and one by one we headed back into shore, with me being the last man in at about 8.15am.

Thanks for coming out guys. Hope to see you Bill and Steve out with us again soon... you can't catch any fish unless you are out there. You must admit conditions were idyllic... just a beautiful way to spend a morning, successful or not.

Cheers


Jaro
Noosa Yakkers Coordinator
Viking Pro Fish 45
Call Sign Jaro

http://noosayakers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment