Something grabbed the other end - Eyetag, 13Feb10

From: Ian Tagg
Subject: Re: fishing today
Date: Saturday, 13 February 2010 7:22 PM


It was 0400 hrs at MG as I jumped on the yak. My light dropped down and I couldn't see a thing, so I went hard and luckily made it straight out.

I arrived at SR just as first light was appearing so I put a Bonito on a chin guard wished him good luck, flicked the bail arm open paddled 20 strokes and closed the bail. I continued to paddle allowing the bait to rise closer to the surface, then opening the bail arm again for another 10 strokes.

Now everything is set and I'm ready for the strike. Waiting, waiting 30 minutes later still nothing so I decided to check the bait just in case I missed a strike. As I grabbed the rod something grabbed the other end, shook it's head a few times and took off fast. It turned out to be a Spaniard.

As soon as the Spaniard was stowed I switched rigs to a Spaniard Special with a smaller Bonito (caught last Sunday) and went through my routine and was ready again.

The bait was down for about 5 minutes when the reel screamed for a second and the fish was missed. Next time I put on a Watsons Leaping Bonito, went through the routine paddled for about 10 minutes and was hit again. This time I was solid with a fish, the usual headshakes and after a 10 minute battle, another Spaniard was onboard.

The next bait was a Bonito which didn't last long. I was paddling to raise the bait but before the second drop it took off with a scream and violent head shakes which broke the bottom two hooks off and the fish was lost. I tied another Spaniard Special on with a Bonito and paddled for another 20 minutes for nothing. I checked the bait and it was gone.

That being my last bait I tied on a Jaro special for the trip home.

Not far out from Fairy Pools I noticed a bust up so I grabbed the light outfit, 12lb braid, with a slug and cast started cranking. It was hit and hooked solid with a Skipjack Tuna. The fight was pretty standard until I got colour then all of a sudden the fish hit another gear screaming off straight down and then (for the first time kayaking) I was sharked.

I pulled in what was left of the Tuna, he would have been about 4kg whole. I thought it was time to leave that location, so I paddled in.

Happy to get two fish but disappointed to lose the others. The fish went 8kg and 6kg.

I'll be heading out tomorrow to do the same, as long as the weather is ok. If it looks no good I might try for some bait in close for a bit of fun and money saving.

Ian Tagg

No comments:

Post a Comment