Big Spaniard, 17Jun10

Subject: fishing today -- 17jun10
From: sunshiner
Date: 17/06/2010 3:42 PM


I'm out on Middle Groyne with my two cameras. It's 1130am and out to sea I know Jaro is probably paddling towards the shore from Jew Shoal as I'd radioed him earlier. Why aren't I with him? Well, late yesterday afternoon I got back from several enjoyable but tiring days in Sydney and felt too knackered to get out of bed at 0500-ish to launch with Noosa Yakkers at 0615. But 11am is better than never and, even though I didn't get out there, one never knows when Middle Groyne might turn up a great yakker photo opportunity.

The radio blares again, just after I arrive. It's Jaro again. "Sunshiner, I've got an ENORMOUS Spaniard aboard!" I congratulate him and tell him that I'm ready with the cameras and the measure mat. He tells me he's having trouble paddling because the tail of the Spaniard is sharing the cockpit with him, the front half being rammed head first into his fish box in the stern area. I know about this problem, one that any yakker would love to have.

[See Jaro's account of the capture at the end of this post...]

There's a further interesting aspect as well today. The 2m easterly swell is kicking up a pretty big wave, as attested to by the 20 or so boardriders out there, just west of the groyne's tip. Every now and again, to the delight of the surfers, a very large set arrives and the waves impact the end of the groyne heavily, sending spray far enough so that the rocks on top of the groyne, 30m from the outer tip are damp from cascading droplets. "Should be an interesting ride in", I speculate.

Soon I can spot Jaro and I make contact by radio. He continues his paddle toward the holding point 100m or so out where we perform our pre-landing checks and tidy-ups. By now there are some seriously big waves coming through, some of them breaking right across the channel exit. These are waves we try to avoid, mostly succeeding but sometimes...


He's ready to run, so, by radio, I give him my two-bob's worth. I know how difficult it is to see, from out there, exactly what's happening along the wall and whether its channel is negotiable. It is today, but timing is critical. The movie camera, on the tripod, is already recording and I'm ready with my stills camera to take hoped-for spectacular shots of Jaro riding a big wave. He waits and waits and then suddenly turns toward the beach and powers in. I capture it all -- Jaro has performed another feat of perfect timing and has made it look ridiculously easy. No spectacular surf wipe-outs today!

Jaro waited until the swell dropped away and then cruised in, between sets.


It's a big Spaniard indeed. He had it tied off at head and tail, in case of rollover in the surf but when we pulled it out of the fishbox we found that cord at the head had been severed by the mackerel's teeth.

OK, now the shock and awe hit the beachgoers as we dragged this fish nonchalantly out of the yak. Mainly pics from now on.

The Spaniard went 1.39m on the measure mat complemented by Jaro's ruler. A 42cm sweetlip lies there also for comparison.


Jaro and new friend (one of many today).

Lying on the Profish

At the washpoint, holidaymakers experience some Noosa magic

Trundling it back to the car

I accompanied Jaro to Davo's Tackle shop where the scales pointer swung to 18kg when we put it on the platform. Jaro and I both thought it would be around 22kg, it was so deep in the body.

Might take my trolling outfit out tomorrow... Jaro and I both intend to go and I understand Hollywood is a possible goer.

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://www.noosayakkers.blogspot.com/

Email from Jaro, later
::::::::
Subject: Fishing Today 17/06/2010
From: "Jaro Cerny"
Date: 17/06/2010 8:45 PM

Hello Yakkers,

Kevin has filled you in on the aftermath, I will fill you in on the days outing (without pictures).

Weather
Cloud cover 8/10 initially clearing to 2/10 later.
Wind +10 knots initially but slowly abating to <5 a="" br="" easter.="" essentially="" later.="" much="" south=""> Sea. A rough 2 metre swell with white caps early but abating to almost calm.
A marked northerly drift due to the wind which also abated as the morning wore on.

I arrived at MG at 6.10am. Saw no one. Had a look a conditions and saw that there was a goodly swell with big breakers at the point of the groyne acerbated by the low tide. Could be fun I thought. I saw a kayaker out in front off the groyne and thought it was Mark from Sydney. So I got myself ready and launched then waited near the point till there was a break in the set and went for it. Made it nice and dry. Paddled over to the other yakker to find that it was Peter Doff. After introductions we set off to JS after collecting Mark in his distinctive black and white striped yak closer to the eastern side of Main Beach.

Once at JS we proceeded to fish for bottom dwellers. We had lots of bites but had nothing really to show for it. I caught about 12 fish of all sorts and finally caught a nice sweet lip. Mark was more into trolling so he left us for other areas. Sunshiner called to see how we were doing and said he would come and see us on shore. At 11.00am I decided to pull the plug and head for home. Peter decided he was going to stay till he had caught a take home fish, which he did catching 3 nice sweetlip.

I put out my trusty trolling lure, the Halco Laser Pro thinking I could not possible be lucky two trips in a row when 8 minutes into the home run, the rod bent at right angles. I had difficulty getting it out of the rod holder the fish was pulling so hard. Once out and in my hands I knew I had a biggie and looked at my watch to see how long it would take to get it in. It was 11.08am. The fish took off and took out a lot of line even though I had set a heavy drag on the 30 lb line. When it stopped I started to reel it in when suddenly the line went slack and for a while I thought it had bitten or broken the line. However, past experience had taught me that sometimes they head straight back the way they came so I immediately reeled the line in as fast as I could. It seemed like forever but suddenly there was tension again. I estimate it went out 150 metres and then came back in 100 metres. It allowed me to reel him in to about 15 metres from the yak but deep down. It then took off again before I would reel him in again. This happened a number of times. I was always fearful that eventually it would disengage the hooks or break the line. I kept telling myself to be patient and not to try to force the issue. Finally I could see this big grey shape under the yak and I initially thought it was a bloody shark when it suddenly rolled a little to one side for the tell tale stripes on a silvery backgound to be visible. A bloody monster spaniard. You little beauty!!!!

Eventually it was spent and I gently brought to to the side of the yak and gaffed it. At this point I noted the time 11.29am... a 20 minute fight... it seemed longer. I just had to call Kevin and tell him the news plus he was expecting me to arrive about now. Naturally I told him I would be in later than expected. I then firstly made sure it was well and truly tethered with a jaw clip and roped it to the yak. I had great difficulty in getting the mackerel into the yak, nearly tipping a couple of times. Finally it was on board and then I had to guide it head first backwards into the rear hold which was far too small with the end result the tail was just in front of me making paddling awkward. But was I complaining? I then just rested and took in the moment and then paddled back to shore. The rest you know.

What a day!!!!

Cheers

Jaro
::::::::

No comments:

Post a Comment