Fun at Rainbow, 06Jun10

Subject: Fishing this weekend
From: Stuart Denissen
Date: 6/06/2010 5:59 PM

Hi all,

A short report on the weekend's events. I fished for two short periods yesterday and today after heading up to Rainbow Beach for the weekend with the family. There was a light offshore wind blowing. I paddled straight out from the beach entrance approx 200-300 meters, using the slight breeze to bounce soft plastics off bottom and over bommies.

I hooked two fish yesterday, one being a good size sweet lip and my second being my first cobia, also on a soft plastic! I was unsure of the legal size limit for the cobia which measured in at 76cm so I released it back to grow bigger for another day. I then called it a day to spend some quality family time.

I paddled out today, negotiating a good swell which had picked up out of nowhere, however had great conditions just a couple hundred meters out. Once again I was using soft plastics and my light graphite gear with 8lb line.

After approx an hour and no fish I decided to call it a day, however when reeling in my plastic my rod bent and reel began to scream. I had a very familiar feeling fish on the end of the line, and after a 20 minute fight I landed a 81cm spottie mac. Great end to a great weekend. (I am now a soft plastic fan)!!

Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment