Snaps and spots, 05Jan11

Subject: fishing today -- 05jan11
From: sunshiner
Date: 5/01/2011 2:29 PM

Weather
Cloud cover: up to 5/10
Wind direction & speed: E to 10 knots
Sea state: Low swell from SE
Participants: pedro, jaro, sunshiner

Pedro's 4wd was already there, and its engine cooled down, by the time Jaro and I hit the carpark around 04:15am. The day was just dawning, and the only other signs of life were the garbage truck operator whose lights proved useful while we prepped our yaks, and the usual (occupied) campervan parked next to Pedro's parking spot.

Down to the beach we trundled in light so poor that I decided not to attempt a launch time photo. By about 04:30 we were out past the break, Jaro dry and me a little damp as I managed to encounter, as I often do, the wave of the day while exiting.

Jew Shoal was the target and we headed for it with a slight tail wind on an all-but glassy sea. It being so early there were few terns obvious at first but gradually as the light levels increased more and more terns passed us, all heading about the same way as we were -- north.

Other than a brief diversion east to closely investigate some tern activity, which, as often happens, dissipated on our arrival, we headed straight for The Pinnacles. There being no surface activity at all, Jaro opted to fish using bait (a good move as it turned out) while I opted to troll a Halco LP around the shallower areas hoping for a Spaniard, spotty or a snapper -- or anything, really. This was around 05:30 and by now we'd also established communication with Pedro out at Sunshine Reef and so far fishless.

First cast (prawn bait) Jaro hooked up and boated a 40cm+ snapper, announcing its arrival by radio. I trolled on. A few minutes later Jaro breathlessly reported contact with a massive fish which had proved unstoppable and which had taken a pilchard complete with the hardware connecting it with his main line. Having no bait, anyway, I continued trolling. Again the radio came to life -- Jaro announcing yet another monster which had also escaped, this time with the terminal hook of a three-hook gang.

OK, time for me to stop trolling and switch to drifting SPs. The drift was entirely breeze driven, SE to NW, and not too quick, given the light wind. With the improving light I could now see that the water covering Jew Shoal was still green tinged, but much clearer than the last couple of times I'd been out. Jaro's and my drift paths coincided somewhat from time to time and so next time the monster came to visit Jaro I was on hand with the camera.

06:12am. OK, no monster, but a nice spotty mac nevertheless. Jaro's first spotty for 2011.

This info was now passed to Pedro who then decided, even though he'd caught a snapper, that he'd head back toward us ("See you in about 30 minutes", he said).

So I'm still fishless but trying hard with my usually effective Squidgy. The drifting continues. Jaro bags another small but keeper snapper, then a keeper sweetlip. He's on fire today. I'm not, but ready with the camera. On two occasions my Squidgy is disabled by having the tail removed cleanly -- I suspect spotty macs. Other than a small bar-tailed flathead (released), I've caught nothing.

"Got a biggy on" -- a rushed message from Jaro on the radio. I'm bored and need to paddle back up the drift line anyway so I head over to his yak about 300m away.

07:35am. A very nice snapper (drifted pilchard). Caz WILL be pleased.

I'm thoroughly pissed off, and presumably is Pedro also, who has reported no action despite repeated trolling around Jew Shoal within sight of us for the last hour or so. I set a deadline for departure at 08:15 and Jaro agrees but at 08:10 he has another biggy on -- but it's his last pillie. A few minutes later the story is sent via radio waves. Jaro had hooked a Spaniard, had him up to the yak and the hook pulled free.

By now I'm set up for trolling homeward so when Jaro announces "One last drift?" I opt to head off anyway and wait for him on the beach. It's a slow trip home -- I'm a little seedy I think from the Indian restaurant's spicy meal last night, the accompanying bottle of red and the late bed-time early get up. 1.4km out from MG there's an eruption of water about 100m in front of me and I'm treated to the spectacle of a good sized tuna, probably a longtail, chasing a single silvery fish about 30cm long. Both victim and predator get air several times and I still don't know who won. I didn't -- as my trolled lure was out of the zone by the time I got to the now vacated splash-down spot.

Aware that Jaro is several minutes behind me I plod on toward the beach. You know what's going to happen next, don't you? The radio -- another hasty message -- Jaro has a "biggy" on his trolled Halco, identical to the one I'm trolling. Clearly, today is Jaro's day and definitely not mine. But there's a sad end -- the wire trace broke and the Halco, a veteran of many mackerel battles, is gone. Although he didn't get to see the fish, Jaro reckons it was another Spaniard, and he'd know, he's caught plenty.

The beach is now crowded with people, possibly spectators awaiting Jaro's arrival. But the usual exit spot is clear and we cruise in on small waves at the top of the tide.

Jaro's bag today. Pretty good for an old codger.

The largest snapper went 63cm.

The spotty went 87cm even though it's a bit bent.

Close up of first dorsal fin colour pattern

Thanks for organizing, Jaro. Pete, please let us know how you finished up. [see Pete's report below]

So the Spaniards and the spotties are here. All we need now is a bit of gentle weather for a while to allow the blue sea to return, and the baitfish to pack in to Laguna Bay.

Kev
Red & white Stealth Supalite, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://www.noosayakkers.blogspot.com/

From pedro
::::::::::
Hi All,
Yes my motor had cooled down considerably at the late hour of 4.45, and the combi was in my spot...

To add to Sunshiner's report, after they paddled in I was a lip away from a double hook up with what turned out to be spotty mackerel as I got one to the side of the yak the other one didn't hook up. It was hooked in a very small part of its 'nose', eventually pulling itself free.

I ended up with another snapper at 65cm drifting pilchards at JS and the first caught at sunshine, 55cm.

I called it a day at about 1.00, trolling garfish in with no hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment