Imax and sharks, 07Feb11

Subject: Fishing today -- 07 Feb 11
From: "Dan"
Date: 7/02/2011 11:19 AM

I arrived a little later than planned and went for a walk to see how big the swell was. I could see Pete rigging up just out past the groyne so headed back and started the assembly of the AI. Sam arrived not long later and managed to get set up and get on the water a good 10 min before I was ready. We went our own ways but the 3 of us ended up at JS later. Unfortunately as soon as I arrived at JS I started feeling very green so decided to keep trolling as that was all that made me feel better. This was the first time I have been sea sick on a kayak and I put most of it down to having the big sail and amas/akas making the AI rock more.

On the troll home I was chasing a few schools and birds and on the outskirts of a very big school I hooked onto a small but feisty Bronze Whaler (first fish offshore in the yak). I continued trolling following the coast up to Little Halls and then headed for home. As I was packing some of my gear up only 30m or so from the groyne I hooked onto another small shark. The little bugger wound himself up in my leader on the way in and as I was trying to unravel him he kicked and managed to knick my braid. He was swimming off so slowly I nearly reached down to grab it by the tail to get my Laser Pro back but decided I better not.

I waited for Sam on the beach as I could see him not far off and took this photo for him with a nice yellow fin tuna. Sorry I wasn't a little more social out there this morning Pete and Sam, I just wasn't feeling the best.

Regards
Dan
Imax



Email from pedro
Subject: Re: Fishing today -- 07 Feb 11
From: Pete
Date: 7/02/2011 2:39 PM

Hi All,

Not much to add to Dan and Sams reports.

I lost one pilchard and had the same prawn on for the duration. Headed in around 9.30 as the start of the SSE change arrived. Noted high numbers of terns heading out to sea, and hooked a small shark on trolled lure.
Met LeRoux on the beach (heading out for a paddle).

And by the way,nice snapper Jaro!!

Pedro

Email from Le Roux
::::::
Subject: Re: Fishing today -- 07 Feb 11
From: "LeRoux Uys"
Date: 7/02/2011 2:58 PM

As per Pete, I headed out about 10ish in the hope that the pelagics would have woken up by then and that the wind would hold off - no such luck unfortunately! I paddled out into a very stiff s'easterly that nearly blew me across the bay; hooked my customary 2 bronzies even before I got to the shark nets! Decided that it was too dicey to head to JS so I took shelter behind the headland, hooking 2 squire there (non-keepers). Trawled back to MG and across to the river mouth just for good measure, but still returned empty handed. Good to know the yellowfin are around though... where are the spotties???
LeRoux

No comments:

Post a Comment