First trip longtail, 19Mar11

Subject: Fishing today - 19th March 2011
From: Matt Reid
Date: 19/03/2011 7:53 PM

Hi all,

Just a rough report from today, as Steve and Ian have all the photos.

Participants: Matt (gemini) Ian (eyetag), Steve (turtleboy? forgive me if that's wrong), and Jeff (did you pick a call sign Jeff?)
Conditions: Light breeze, 5 knots or so, but gusting a bit harder when the storm came in.

Eyetag, Jeff, and I arrived at MG just before 5AM to launch into some fairly placid conditions around 5:30 (Steve arrived much later in the morning). We elected to make an easy paddle up to little halls in search of tuna at first light. Once the birds started out after dawn there was a fair amount of surface activity and baitfish getting about. Eyetag managed a mac tuna fairly early on, which was released. Not too long after Jeff scored a very nice longtail tuna, breaking his rod in the process. We then trolled about little halls for a while with no success. During this time Steve advised us on the VHF from MG he that would be with us in 30 minutes or so.

As we headed back in the general direction of MG, I spotted some dolphins having a relaxing swim about the area. Not too long after I had the pod breaching within meters of my yak which was a pleasant surprise. Sometime around 8-9AM? (I didn't have a watch handy) we met up with Steve on our way back towards the river mouth. By this time all surface activity and birds had pretty much stopped, and the bait balls we had seen in abundance on our sounders had all but disappeared. It was not looking good, but we elected to head out to jew shoal for a look.

This was when the "fun" began. Shark after shark was landed, all with rapid succession. We landed 7 between us, all little whalers no bigger than 1m. Some actually gave a good fight too, so it wasn't all bad, but they were the last fish we would see for the day.

During the paddle towards jew shoal a squall line was rolling in over the ocean towards us, and I noted several water spouts forming up and dissipating fairly quickly from the edge of the line. Eyetag may have some photos of this if they turned out.

And that, as they say, is that. Steve reached jew shoal first and reported to us the lack of activity extended there as well. The weather was turning by this stage too, so we headed in, only just making it to the beach before the rain came.

Cheers!
Matt
Call sign: Gemini

Email from Jeff (richmond)
::::::::::
Subject: fishing today 19 March 2011
From: "Jeff Adams"
Date: 19/03/2011 9:19 PM

G'day all,
My first beach launch and return today, in fact my first offshore paddle in a yak. The launch and return was pretty easy. I was sure glad about that!

I wonder if Matt and Ian knew I was quietly anxious and apprehensive?

Was very happy landing a nice Longtail on a trolled Rapala CD-18, fished a long way back. A couple of small noahs, and I also had my slice snipped off too, even though I had a very short piece of 44lb wire.
(the broken rod........that'll teach me not to high stick!)

Had a great day, I'm a bit sore now, but I'll get used to that.

I just want to say thank you to Ian, Matt and Steve for all your help and education today, it was greatly appreciated.

I also want to say that it's great to find a bunch of fishos who look out for each other and have the camaraderie that you have. Well done Noosa Yakkers.

Thanks again guys, can't wait for the next trip.

ps. I'll get my handheld VHF fixed as soon as poss!

Cheers fellas, Jeff

Pics from Jeff



:::::::::

Pics by Ian



No comments:

Post a Comment