Tuna and spotties, 05Mar11

Subject: Belated fishing report - Saturday 05Mar11
From: Maverick
Date: 10/03/2011 1:32 PM

I woke up and decided the weather would play fair game for a while so I opted for a quick fish in the Bay.

I launched at approx 6am and took only light gear comprising of two 5kg graphite rods fitted with 8lb mono. I was hoping to find some surface activity and flick a couple slugs.

I paddled the Bay up to the boiling pot then decided to paddle to the river mouth after nil signs of surface activity. Once I arrived at the river mouth I saw another kayaker heading in my direction from North Shore direction, this turned out to be Ian (Eyetag). As per usual Ian already had a fish on board which turned out to be a Spotty Mak which was caught just on the dirty water mark North side of the river mouth with a Kev and Jaro halco special.

I decided to troll a slug behind the kayak in the hopes of picking up a spotty. As I was paddling just North of the river mouth my outfit screamed. I fought what I'd thought would be a keeper Spotty however turned out to be just 55Cm's, 5 cm shy of dinner :(

Ian and I kept paddling around the Bay in the hopes of nailing a couple more pelagics, however with no surface activity decided to give one more run just North of the mouth then return home (9am at this time).

Once just past the mouth we observed a lot of birds towards Little Halls so decided to head out and investigate. The ocean began to boil with Tuna, Mackerel you name it jumping all over the place. I threw a slug into a boil of fish and hooked onto what I was hoping to be a longtail. This fish almost spooled me tree times before I managed to get him under control (8lb line) I was pulled around for about an hour and 1km past Little Halls according to Ian's GPS.

In the time I was fighting the fish Ian hooked, caught and released a shark, then nailed a decent size Spotty Mak which he boated before paddling over to see how I was going. Much to my disgust I got a first look of my fish which turned out to be an 8kg Mak Tuna, oh well at least it was good fun.

The wind and rain had now really picked up so we decided to head back in. Two hours later and almost giving up on paddling against 30 knot winds we made it back to MG. We met a Brazilian kayaker who was very happy to take the Mak Tuna off my hands.

Ian took some pics.

Hopefully see you guys on the water over the next week or so if the weather improves.

Maverick

Pics by Ian




No comments:

Post a Comment