Dan's Longtail, 15Apr11

Subject:Fishing today -- 15Apr11
From:"Dan"
Date:15/04/2011 1:02 PM

Good afternoon, Noosa Yakkers,

It was a beautiful morning today with glassed out conditions. I launched again this morning at 6am meaning I managed 4 out of 5 days this week (slept in Tuesday morning). This weeks fishing should keep me going for my week at work starting tomorrow. Yesterday I didn't manage anything good, just sharks. All up I caught 7 of the little buggers on hard bodies and hooked most of these as I stopped ready to cast a slug into the bait boils.

To try and minimise the number of sharks that I caught this morning I only left the hard body out until the first shark. Not long after the first shark a big school of bait and tuna appeared close by. The difference today to the previous days this week was the tuna were active from about 6am instead of later in the morning. First cast I hooked a big Mack tuna. This took about 15 min to land and after letting it go another school popped up close by again. I hooked another Mack tuna out of this school and after another release the process was repeated another 2 times. All up I landed 4 Mack tuna and all were hooked on the first or second cast into the schools.

This brought the time to somewhere around 7.30 - 8am and the tuna were breaking up into very isolated, short lived bust ups. I decided to try and bash the bottom so headed for little halls. I spent 20min or so trying my luck with a soft plastic before calling it quits to head for home. I chucked out my Laser Pro for the trip home hoping something other then a shark would be interested. About half way home I heard a splash directly behind me. I turned around to have a look and noticed my rod twitch once and then bend right over with the drag screaming. This fish was running so I had to turn the kayak and give chase otherwise I was going to be spooled. After a good fight I landed a 95cm longtail which is now filleted ready for dinner.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I didn't see any other kayaks out there today and there weren't many boats either which surprised me as the conditions were great. Hopefully the weather stays good for everyone to fish the weekend and I'm looking forward to getting out again when I get back from work.

Regards
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment