Two longtails, 02May11

Subject: Fishing today -- 2nd May 2011
From: "Ian"
Date: 2/05/2011 3:56 PM

Weather
Cloud cover: cloudless.
Wind direction & speed: Variable Cloud cover: cloudless.
Wind direction & speed: Variable 3 knots
Sea state: 3-4 foot S/SE swell
Current: at LH Reef non existant
Participants: eye tag

Hi Yakkers, The launch today wasn't difficult as long as you waited for a lull between sets, which were quite lengthy. After getting clear of the break I first took a photo then deployed my Jaro special and headed for the RM. Things were quiet with only a few birds that were heading in the same direction as I was. This can't be a bad thing I thought.

Just before sunrise looking East from MG

After crossing the RM the odd bust up started to appear. Then I had one right beside me so I cast a slug and hooked up and after a 20 minute battle had a Longtail on my lap. After stowing him I continued trolling chasing bust ups and after about 50,000 casts I'd landed 4 small Mack Tuna.

Trying to pick the difference between schools I finally got one right and landed another Longtail just as Stu and Le Roux came along in Stu's stink boat(a nice one at that).

The boat on the left is Stu with Le Roux,the other is a 10 foot inflatable (sorry about the distance)

With tired arms I decided to head in with a return free from mishap.

11kg Longtail taken on a 30 gram slug (I dropped the other 9.5kg fish off to a friend on the way home and didn't get a photo)

As I was washing the yak the swell seemed to swing around more to the East (as predicted) which could make things interesting tomorrow.

The Longtail bust ups tended to be single fish and casting near the bust up proved successful and all my fish were hooked with a slowish retrieve rather than a fast one. I've now trolled a Jaro special around for 10 hours over 4 trips and haven't had a touch. Maybe it's lost its Mojo.

Ian
call sign;eye tag

No comments:

Post a Comment