cold and tough, 13Jul11

Subject: fishing today -- 13jul11
From: sunshiner
Date: 13/07/2011 4:55 PM

Weather
Cloud cover: mainly clear overhead
Wind direction & speed: westerly 5-10kn
Sea state: low swell
If applicable (often at NSR): no current observed

Participants: Pedro, Jaro, jimbo, paddleparra, sunshiner, rooter

The weather forecast was for light and variable winds, but the reality a little different. It was great to see NY Brian (AKFF: paddlepara) there this morning when I arrived at 0545, even though he'd taken my usual carpark. Jaro was already there also and Jimbo rolled up right behind me. Pedro, ever the early riser, had already launched. A few minutes later we four were ready to start paddling.



Above: 0600 hrs. Paddleparra attends to his Stealth BFS in the early morning half-light seconds before launch time

The westerly breeze was evident as soon as we cleared the beach and helped push us along to our destination (A-Bay Reef) to the east, some 5.5km away around the headlands.

On arrival at the reef some 50 minutes later we were informed by Pedro, also there, that things were very quiet -- in fact so quiet that Pedro felt obliged to announce over the radio the capture of a 30cm flounder. Much excitement ensued... NOT

Well, it was bloody quiet, and bloody cold. As soon as we started drifting, slow drift to the east, we could feel the chilly air seeping into our poorly clothed bodies. I was wearing a long pants wetsuit but I felt sorry for Jaro whose bare legs and feet had goosebumps so large that I could see them from where I drifted. Anyway, we fished on, mainly fishless. Pedro announced the capture of a snapper just over the legal minimum, then a grinner which he thought was a NY record. I informed him that I thought that particular honour was already Jaro's as I have a photo somewhere of him with a grinner resembling a mature saltwater croc in jaw size.

Then Pedro asked by radio the minimum legal size of pearl perch. Yep, at 38cm his was a keeper, just (min length 35cm, like snapper). After an hour of no fish and biting breeze Jimbo had opted to paddle to JS to try his luck there and to get warmed up from the paddling exercise. We four remaining out there stuck with it, even though there was virtually no action. A nibble here, a bump there, nothing substantial. At the end of two hours, I had not had a touch, Paddleparra had had one hookup which spat the hook and Jaro had had even less action than I had. Pedro was the only one on the board. Then rooter turned up, much as he did last week and after a chat he left, as he often does, to try to rediscover New Zealand. By now I was getting close to pulling the pin, cold, damp and fishless -- but at least the sun was shining and I was out there with a few mates. So I stuck with it and about five minutes after Rooter had left I got my only strike of the day, on my cast SP. The fish hooked up well and at first I called it for a sweetlip as it kept heading straight for the bottom, and not horizontally. As I reckoned this might be my only hit of the day (which turned out to be true), I played the fish very gently, even backing off the drag a little when I judged he was far enough off the bottom. After a couple of minutes I could see the fish about 5m down. To my surprise it was a snapper, beautiful rosy pink, with bright blue spots and brilliantly blue fins. They're a great sight when they pop up beside the yak!



Chest cam view as the gaff, top right is readied (frame from movie)

0923hrs. The snapper (53cm) about to go into the Stealth's fishbox. Water droplets on the lens -- sorry, but difficult to avoid.

We fished on a little longer but with no more action. Jaro was unusual in opting to pull the pin before me. Poor bugger must have been frozen. He'd drifted quite a way to the east and, realizing that he had to paddle into the wind decided to call it a day and punch back toward home, Paddleparra and I stuck it out a bit longer but the breeze showed no sign of slackening so we turned for home about 1025, slogging back through the chop, going pretty hard until we could relax a bit once we passed Fairy Pools, where we caught up with Jaro and heard jimbo announce that he'd just left JS, fishless.

And so we four arrived at MG more or less together, with wet arses and one keeper fish between us. When starting to drag our yaks back up the beach we were approached by the duty Lifeguard, pompously seated in his beach scooter, who warned us about our behaviour in paddling across that stretch of water, approaching Middle Groyne, with fishing rods deployed. This guy got quite bureaucratic and a bit hot under the collar when we questioned his opinion. He quite clearly stated to us that we could be fined for "fishing" in the area in front of Main Beach and that he could tell we were fishing because our rods were in the rod holders. He quietened down a little after a while, possibly realising that he'd bitten off more than he could chew. I got his name (I'd never seen him before) and vowed to the others that I'd check into this situation. See last paragraph for the outcome, but please read the next paragraph first.

We obviously share Main Beach with a lot of other people, mainly when we come back from a trip. As responsible users (and as far as I'm aware all NYs are responsible individuals) we need to remind ourselves that extra care needs to be taken in regard to other users when approaching the beach on the way in, especially as some people in the water may not realise that our craft are somewhat less nimble and manoeuvreable and somewhat more dangerous in the surf than boogie boards and the like. For years we've launched at Main Beach without any hassles from the Lifeguards, probably because they see us as responsible users. Be aware that a Lifeguard does have the authority to ask you to follow his (reasonable) directions inside or adjacent to a Bathing Reserve, and note that you could be fined if you refuse to do so. Now go on to the next paragraph.

I checked the Laws regarding use of that area, found nothing about restrictions on fishing, or transiting the space in question with rods deployed. The Laws clearly state that craft such as ours are not permitted to approach the beach "between the flags" but that is not an issue in this case. Having satisfied myself that there appeared to be no legal basis for the opinion of the Lifeguard who confronted us, I then called the Council and spoke with the Chief Lifeguard, keen ski paddler and member of SBSC, Scott Braby. He was appalled when I related the situation to him and assured me that they would only interfere with our activities if they were of the opinion that other people were in danger as a result of our actions. He also assured me that the particular Lifeguard was probably being "overzealous". He asked me the guy's name and I gave it to him and he then explained that the guy had just been employed as a casual to fill a temporary vacancy (this, no doubt, is why I nor any others of us had seen him before and shows Jaro's presience when he stated "...probably it's his first day on the job..."). Scott undertook to have a chat with the individual to explain more clearly his role, responsibilities and the limits to his authority (Because the Lifeguard was behaving so pettily I'd asked him if he had the "power to arrest", knowing that such authority was extremely unlikely. The Lifeguard responded that he did have the power to arrest, thus revealing to me his probable lack of understanding of the law.) In response to a direct question from me, Scott verified that the Lifeguards do not have the power to arrest. So that is another matter he will likely educate the Lifeguard in question about. Scott gave me his own mobile phone number and urged me to call him directly if there were any further issues of this sort. I will happily pass on this number to any NYs who feel that they'd like to have it. Note I reckon this is excellent service from Scott Braby and, if you feel inclined, please thank him if you come across him socially or on the water.

Anyway, back to fishing.

How'd you guys finish up, pedro and rooter?

Kev
Red & white Stealth Supalite, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://www.noosayakkers.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment