big lizard, NR, madcow, 24Apr09

From: "madcowes"
Subject: noosa river quickie
Date: Friday, 24 April 2009 5:35 PM

Couldnt wait for next week, so a quick paddle on the river was in order.

Bought myself a cast net (how hard could it be?) & actually managed to catch a few livies first cast, subsequent casts only resulted major expletives
and tangles. So I quit while I was ahead & headed off to my new favourite spot in the river, to see what I could find.

So far all going to plan (strangely enough given some of my recent outings).

UNTIL having just anchored up with a livey out the back and flicking a SP around for any bream that might be present, after about 5 mins the rod with
the livie buckled over and then stopped. Picking up the rod felt a lot of weight and very little movement - hmm.

My initial thoughts were that I’d hooked a ray - great here we go. I couldn't make any progress, at all. I thought maybe the livey had swum around a snag? As I could still feel a tugging on the end of my line I decided to go for broke, and lo and behold I started making slow progress, soon I would be seeing colour!

Not quite what I was expecting this rusty old crab pot! Bonus was that it contained two large very angry muddies, which after paddling to shore I managed to transfer into my esky to be dealt with at a later stage.


After paddling back to my original spot I concentrated on trying to entice some bream again, but being slack tide it was dead quiet. So plan B, troll a livey back to base and deal with the muddies.

Good plan. 2 minutes paddling saw the livey absolutely monstered by a good fish which towed me around a bit, as I only had 4kg leader on I had to be careful and really tire this fish out.


Finally my best noosa river fish to date. 80+cm of flathead magic - quickly over to shore for a couple of pics then released on her way.

Fingers crossed for next weeks weather guys, can’t wait cheers brian.

(Only just still have all my fingers after playing with the muddies - scary things)

No comments:

Post a Comment