cobia again, 17Dec08

From: "kevin long"
Subject: Fishing today -- 17dec08 -- Part 1
Date: Wednesday, 17 December 2008 7:52 AM

Andy W, Jaro and I were there early (before 0500) and Steve (Turtle Boy) turned up a little later. I understand that Mal intended to come a little later.

The usual procedure ensued, with first Andy, then Jaro, then I hitting the water, a very small swell and little or no breeze hindering us not at all.

0451 hrs. Andy heads for his launch.

Just as on our previous trip, I was ready to paddle before Jaro, who was setting up two trolling outfits. So I paddled over the shark net and once clear of it deployed the same lure as last trip, the one that got the cobia, but this time with new hooks. The big overhead, in the holder behind me, was in free spool as I paddled away and I'd forgotten it was still letting line out. I suddenly remembered and looked around to see a lot more line out than I'd prefer, so stopped paddling, engaged the gears and started to retrieve the lure to reduce the distance between me and the lure. There was a lot of line out (it's a big spool) and I was steadily cranking away when the resistance suddenly increased, but no fast run. My first thought was that this was a small fish, possibly a mackerel or tuna, and that I'd crank him straight in. Then I felt the weight of a decent fish as line crackled off the reel and the yak started to be pulled back toward the fish. Jaro by now was underway and could see that I was fighting a fish so again, as last time, he hung around. The fight reminded me of the cobia I'd caught the other day and Jaro mentioned to me just as I was coming to that conclusion that "perhaps it's another cobia". A few minutes later a sighting confirmed it and a few minutes later still it was gaffed (through the gill cover) and lifted into the yak. Again I passed the camera to Jaro and he obliged by taking a few pics. Thanks Jaro.

0523hrs. One cobia bagged.

I set about trying to revive the fish and would have been happy to release it, but it seemed too exhausted by the struggle so I consulted Jaro and then decided to take it, as we have a large BBQ commitment in the next few days and cobia of this size are very good to eat.

I held the fish for several minutes, swimming it back and forth but it showed little sign of life.

Having made the decision to keep the fish I then decided that it should be refrigerated as soon as possible so called an end to my fishing for the day, paddled the 500 or so metres back to the beach and landed in the midst of a large crowd of Surf Club "Nippers", undergoing training. here I took another pic of the fish on the measure mat.

Cobia, 17Dec08. Laguna Bay, 102+cm.

I was back at home before 0700. I reckon the boys will be back from JS around 0930 onward so intend to take the camera down to get more pics, after which I'll fill you in on further details. Wonderful morning out there today. I wonder how they're going? (Editor: see next later blog)

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment