Stretched snapper, 09Nov11

Hi Fellas,

I went out to Jew Shoal, yesterday, leaving the beach around 08:00. Not ideal but my other hobby seems to get in the way of early starts.

I was expecting one or two of you out there but I got no feed back on the radio so decided to go to Jew Shoal.

No wind but the sea was a little bumpy with some breakers so expected a drenching on the way out and I wasn't disappointed!

Trolled HB's on way out but not a sniff. However as it was still quite calm I observed quite a few gentle bust ups (no birds). I rigged a small bait fish lure 10g and hooked a small mac tuna. I had hoped the gentle bust ups were spotties but I guess its a bit early for them isn't it?

The fish were pretty shy and I needed to be very quiet to get within casting range.

So on and on to Jew Shoal or so I thought. My old, no very old Garmin GPS, had finally packed up and I was using my new radio/Gps device which isn't that user friendly so it took me ages to find the mark. In fact I used visual alignment but wasn't really sure where I was.

As a result or other wise nothing was interested in my pilchards or soft plastics.

As I had time on my hands I fiddled with my GPS a bit more and worked out that I was not on the mark and finally got into position. Still nothing. It was about 11:30 when the wind started to pick up a bit and I decided to have one more shot with a fresh pilchard and as I started to wind in I got hit by a weighty fish. My first thought was shark but it didn't fight as hard and I started to get a bit more excited about the possibility of a snapper. I carefully played it in and with the water so clear saw a broad shiny flash down below. Yippee it was a snapper. 3.7kg. officially weighed at the fishing and outdoors shop on the way home.

Just one bite and just one fish. (I don't count the mac tuna)

At noon the wind started up in earnest but as a northerly it pushed me home and I was surfing quite often. However, how to get into the beach. I battened down the hatches and secured all aboard and waited a while to check the wave patterns and came in after the last wave of a big set and nearly made it but when waist height depth I must have relaxed as another wave caught me and tipped me over. No harm done other than my pride.

May try again next week once I work out how to use my GPS.

I also need a depth sounder/ fish finder, Any recommendations?

warm regards
Des
call sign Stretch
Blue and White Espri (Slow and Wet)

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Stretch. Is that two trips in a row where you've caught a really nice snapper.

    ReplyDelete