DB Rf mixed bag 16Nov11

Contributions from, in sequence: jaro, imax

Wind: calm
Swell: low N
Current: ??
Launch point: Doggie Beach
Participants: imax, jaro

Hi Yakkers,

I arrived at the doggy beach car park at Sunshine Beach at 4.10am to find Dan (Imax) already there.

We checked the surf and thought it a goer. We launched from what we thought was the best spot directly in front of the footpath and got through easily with dry bums. Luckily there was only a shore break to negotiate. We were greeted with just the most beautiful and ideal fishing scene. No wind to speak of, hazy skies and an almost millpond sea as shown by the photo below showing Dan in the foreground.


We both put out our hard body lures to troll to a mark about 1.5 kms out and within a couple of minutes we both had strikes and soon after we both boated a bonito each.

This certainly looked promising for the rest of our trip. At about 1.3kms out we set about drift fishing and it wasn't long before I got a good strike and after a good tussle landed a lovely 50cm snapper. As I was dealing with the snapper the other rod went off but the fish got off as I went for the rod.

Well my hopes were now high for a great day and this was somewhat confirmed as Dan boated a snapper and sweetlip not that long after.

However, that was it. The action ceased completely regardless of where we fished. Dan had been trolling as a last resort and ended up close to our launch point and called it a day at about 8.00am.

He called me when he had beached without any trouble. I had also by this time called it a day. Dan pointed out the best spot to return and after being very, very patient in choosing when to make my dash for shore, I also made it in easily and upright.


Above, our fish for the day. Mine are the two at the bottom left and the remainder are Dan's of course.

It was a lovely day and for once I don't feel exhausted. Oh for more Sunshine Beach launches. Dan is keen to do it again tomorrow whereas I am more inclined to have a go on Friday.
I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Jaro

From imax:
::::::
Subject: Fishing Today (Wednesday 16th Nov 11)
From: "Dan"
Date: 16/11/2011 4:49 PM

Hi Yakkers,

I don't have much to add to Jaro's report. It was a good morning out with at least a few fish caught.

Kev, I am guessing but would say the last fish caught would have been 6am at the latest but more likely 5:30am. I don't really know what shut them down so quickly but it was amazing how I didn't get a single tap after landing the Grassy. When they were on first thing I was getting lots of hits on the soft plastics. I think Jaro was only using bait and he was getting lots of hits also. My snapper came from a 5" Gulp worked and the Grassy took a 7" Gulp deadsticked in the holder with a heavy jig head. I also dropped a good fish on another soft plastic that was deadsticked.

I missed the perfect model to hold my fish because I didn't have my camera with me today.

I am planning on another trip out tomorrow morning. This time I will launch from MG and troll again and will probably do a JS, Halls and LH's circuit. Hope to see some others out there.

Regards
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment