Sunshine 10Dec08, quiet

From: "kevin long"
Subject: Fishing yesterday 10Dec08
Date: Thursday, 11 December 2008 9:22 AM

Some days are diamonds...

But yesterday was a stone, from a fishing point of view at least.

Five of us turned up at MG at 0430-ish, in four yaks. Jaro, Harry, Steve, Charles and Steven (the dynamic duo) and I.

A pic at launch, taken at 0434 hrs.

Harry doing his gorilla imitation...

Our plan was to travel out to Sunshine Reef and all of us paddled out there. I reached one of my marks on the northern end of the reef in about an hour's paddling. A fairly brisk easterly current was evident as I swept past Hells Gates and I remember thinking that if it was still there when coming home, it could be a hard slog. Once past the headland, the current pushed almost due south (which is understandable). I paddled stright out for about 2km, found my bit of reef and started fishing. I fished for about half an hour without result and noticed I'd drifted about 1km in the time in a SE direction, aided by a NW breeze. Calculating that I'd be battling a 1.5kph current and head breeze combination, I opted to head for home immediately. The fact that I had a pile of work to be done on the day also motivated me, so I set off, leaving the area at about 0700. I finally hit the beach at MG at 0900, having paddled continuously for two hours, most of it into the current.

The others were all further south than I and I remember feeling sorry for them because the longer they drifted, the further they'd have to paddle. Aftre I got home Jaro phoned and related that they'd encountered no fish action at all and that fishos in power boats also had got nothing. All I encountered was a few tiny patches of bait being hammered by some small pelagics, probably tiny mac tuna, just off Hell's Gates. My lure cast into the melee failed to attract any interest.

It's looking good for Friday. Any starters? JS or Sunshine?

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment