DB launch, big snap, video, 15Oct09

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing today -- 15oct09
Date: Thursday, 15 October 2009 3:18 PM

The crack in the weather opened up beautifully. A fierce NW wind had caused us all to swelter yesterday but it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good -- it killed the SE swell and made Sunshine Beach viable for a launch. 0445 this morning saw me just arriving at the doggie beach car park and pulling up beside the yak-laden much flashier cars belonging to whalebait and jaro, who were down at the beach carrying out a launch recce. I joined them in the half light and could see that there was a small NE swell curving in to the beach, but nothing that we couldn't handle. It was GO!

All of 10 minutes later we were all on the beach with our yaks still on their trolleys. Jaro was adamant that the best launch spot was up in the far northern corner, so off we trundled the 400m along the beach which fortunately had been wetted in the last few hours and provided us with some firm sand.

Doggie Beach. Point A is where we emerged from the carpark path onto the beach. Point B, 400m from A, is where we trundled our yaks to and launched from.

This morning stroll was breathtaking to say the least, especially as we were pumped with adrenalin. Jaro was heard to say on arrival "I'm knackered already!" But he soon came to his senses as he was correct: it was a perfect launch spot at that stage of the tide and with a northerly swell. We eagerly did our pre-launch checks and stashed our trolleys at a nearby good hiding spot.

0506hrs. A hastily-patched together pic of our pre-sunrise launch. Note the lone surfer on the wave just to the right of whalebait.

During the launch none of us took on any water -- possibly a first for a Sunshine Beach launch. Within a couple of minutes I was watching my GPS tell me that it was a whole 1.3km (~15 minutes paddle) to my intended Sunshine Reef fishing spot! A bit of a change from the 5km or so from Middle Groyne.

As we set up our gear after launch the sun's brilliant red disc slowly peeped over the horizon, its rays unobstructed by cloud or haze. The sea shimmered, the air was warm, much warmer than on the land and we were all captivated by the silence and awesomeness of the setting. No wonder we keep coming back for more.

The fishing was dead slow, in stark comparison to recent trips in the same area in the last couple of weeks. I started out at my close-in mark. When nobody had reported any fish of any consequence in the first hour I decided to move out further to another mark. No fish there either. But we did receive a radio call from doctor dog, who had decided to join us but to launch from Middle Groyne. He was on his way.

Still none of us had reported anything by 7am, when I decided to head back to my original mark and work it for all I was worth. I espied whalebait, anchored up, very close to my track back to the old mark and so decided to close with him and compare notes. About 50m away from him I saw his his heavier outfit load up and he struck, obviously meeting with considerable resistance. Here was a possible opportunity for a bit of footage and some pics.

0710hrs. Whalebait hooked up, Mount Coolum in the distance, under the rod. (Still from video)

And a couple of minutes later he boated a lovely snapper (taken on whole pilchard).

0715hrs. Whalebait with a very nice Sunshine Reef snapper.

So, at least one of us was on the board! Jaro still reported not a single bite and I'd caught two or three of our smiling friends, the grinner (not a well-regarded member of the fish family). I paddled onward to my intended start point. Doctor Dog had by now joined us and was drift fishing nearby -- no fish yet!

The quietness resumed. It wasn't until 8am that at last I got on the board. I'd just finished paddling to restart my drift and had deployed my trailing rig armed with 1/2oz jig head and 4 inch snapback SP. Having placed that rod in the rod holder, I turned my attention to my main weapon, the casting outfit, cast it out and was waiting for it to quietly descend when I became aware of a buzzing noise. It seemed to take forever for the penny to drop, but it could only have been a second, as I turned round to see the trailing rod bent over and line pouring from the spool (very lightly set drag to ensure I don't get rolled over in a heavy strike). The fish was going well and I was surprised to feel after picking up the rod that it wasn't a very big fish at all. I was even more surprised when I got it to the surface to find that it was a sweetlip around 40cm long. This was a welcome catch as they are excellent eating but I think this fish punched well above its weight.

0804hrs. Beautifully marked and hard fighting grass sweetlip. Note the pink and white SP still in its mouth.

Around this time doctor dog informed us by radio that he'd caught and released a small unidentified pelagic. But otherwise there was nothing else happening. Several whales appeared nearby, presumably searching for whalebait, but, not finding him, moved on. About 0900, doctor dog announced that he was leaving for Middle Groyne and around 0915 I announced that I was going to mosey on slowly in to shore, looking for new reef areas as I went. I didn't find any and shortly arrived off our launch point and opted to pack up, especially as whalebait and jaro had both announced that they were also coming in. Just as I'd packed up, a pod of dolphins appeared nearby and I paddled over to get some video.

1001hrs. Dolphins off Sunshine Beach. (Still from video)

And so I turned to go back in through the surf zone, which it now being low tide, was somewhat cluttered with board riders intent on getting practice in the small swell. I turned on chest cam and went for it, at the same place as we launched five hours earlier.

Coming in on the end of a quite long surf zone. Probably the easiest return to Sunshine Beach I've ever had. (Still from video)

Whalebait and Jaro were now outside the surf zone waiting to do the same run so I got out with the camera.

1016hrs. Whalebait digs in the paddle to hold off a small wave. (Still from video)

1018hrs. Jaro powering along at the end of the surf transit. (Still from video)

So, all three of us were successfully on the beach where we could answer the questions of the beachgoers, clean the fish and take a break before hauling our yaks the 400+m back down the beach to the beach access path.

Whalebait's snapper on the measure mat. 68cm. His best Queensland snapper so far.

A French lady visitor (from Corsica) begged to have her photo taken with the fish and its captor. Another beachgoer admires my sweetlip, or my kayak more likely.

Jaro kindly retrieves the trolleys ready for the 400m trundle back down the beach. But the extra 200m from the water's edge, over the soft sand and up the path was a greater challenge, one to which we were equal, I might add.

VIDEO 2 mins -- highlights of 15Oct09 trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hpQzrGgSQ


So, new ground was broken today. In future the north corner should always be considered as a launch option, but always subject to recce before committing.

Thanks for coming guys and thanks for organizing, Jaro.

Late addition from doctor dog who travelled via MG:
>>>>>>>>>
Kevin,
Nothing to report fish wise on my return to MG via Jew shoal but there was plenty of marine life on show with a school of cobia gliding underneath my yak and a manta ray allowing me to get very close as well.

I towed my Rapala hard bodied minnow across the bay only to suffer the same fate as Whale bait --- hit and lost lure --- my 60 lb nylon trace was inadequate I should have listened to you and put some wire on.

Landing at MG was uneventful. No sign of Roger.

I will broadcast details of the Harry hut adventure later . I will be away out at Goondiwindi from Sunday for a week helping a mate with Wheat harvest.
>>>>>>>>>

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://noosayakers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment