tinnie, tuna, LB, 25Jun09

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing today -- 25jun09
Date: Thursday, 25 June 2009 4:33 PM

The weather over the last week or so has been decidedly dodgy but today we got out.

As usual, Jaro organized it for a 0645 start. I got to the car park at 0635 to find that Brian (madcow) and Jimbo were already there. Brian had been down to the beach for a look and reckoned it was OK to go so I didn't even bother to take a look at the surf. Jaro arrived just as I was dragging the yak off the roof rack. So there were four of us...

0653hrs. Looks easy huh?

Being first onto the beach, I launched first, quite confidently, despite Jaro's faint misgivings "Hmmm, might be a bit tricky". As usual, I followed the channel hard against the rock wall. On reaching the holding area just at the end of the wall easily and without pause, I took a look at the oncoming sets, judged that there were no nasties in close proximity and headed for the exit. Once in this exit area you have to keep going no matter what. Imagine my feelings when a 6-foot wall of water appeared from nowhere, obviously intent on smashing me and my tiny yak. This has happened to me at least twice before at this same spot. And I thought I was getting better at picking the sets! The breaking wave smacked me in the chest in mid-paddle stroke and I clearly remember trying vainly to hold my seat while the yak bow pointed skywards. Next thing I'm in the water, bobbing around in the surf supported by my PFD and the yak is next to me upside down. Another wave came and swept the yak out of my grip. My mobile phone in its Aqua Pac waterproof container was floating next to me, tethered to my PFD. How deep is it here? I wondered, and felt down as far as I could with my feet but couldn't touch bottom. There's a rip that runs out to sea there so I started swimming along the beach as well as one can with a PFD on, and dive booties on the feet and a sodden hat on your head. A couple of waves helped my progress and a minute or so later I could feel sand with my feet.

There was a bit of... let's say disarray... as far as the yak and its equipment were concerned. However, there was no permanent damage -- many things just needed to be tidied up and so I spent about five minutes on the beach trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, repositioning rods, restrapping, etc. Meanwhile, my companions, who'd successfully paddled out past me while I'd been sacrificed to the sandmonster were showing great and touching concern over my fate by calling on the radio to determine whether I was still capable of responding. A couple of minutes later I was back in the saddle and ready for the fray again. This time the outcome was more favourable to me and I shortly joined Jim and Brian "out the back"

Off we went, Jew Shoal our goal. Because I'd started my rigging up a little later than the others (for obvious reasons) I was the last in a string of four yakkers heading north. About 2km short of the shoal Jim called on the radio and informed us that he'd spotted an upturned tinny to the east of his path and was altering course to investigate. This sounded quite interesting so I also altered course and soon spotted Jim and the inverted tinny. The camera, being waterproof, was still functioning despite the dunking (not its first, nor likely its last) so out it came to record this historic moment when Noosa Yakkers get involved for the first time in a maritime rescue event.

0740hrs. Jim and his inverted tinny, which turned out to be a tender for the vessel Sea Mist (as painted on its side), presumably broken loose while the vessel was in transit past Noosa.

Jim called the Coastguard by VHF radio and reported the drifting boat and its location (lat and long). The CG undertook to pick it up as it was a significant hazard to other vessels.

OK, now to the fishing. Jaro and Brian had a few minutes start on Jim and me but had reported no action by the time Jim and I arrived on the reef. Shortly I spotted another yakker. A radio call confirmed that this was Antony (fishpod), from Brisbane, who had contacted me the night before to obtain our VHF communication channel as he was considering an early morning fishing trip to Jew Shoal today.

Despite trying all of our normal hotspots, none of us had scored any fish of significance by 0830. The breeze was initially around 10 knots from the WSW, giving us quite a fast drift which is not always conducive to good fishing. Just after 0830 I opted to fish the shallow banks (14-10m deep) west of the pinnacles and was soon rewarded with a solid hookup which turned out to be a nice fat sweetlip.

0847hrs. First keeper of the day -- grass sweetlip.

Although the bottom fishing was quiet, there were plenty of signs of mackerel tuna. From time to time they'd crash through the surface in pursuit of prey but none of us was interested in chasing them as we were after snapper and sweetlip. Further exploitation of the shallow grounds proved fruitless so at around 0950 at the end of a drift I decided to try the spot Jaro affectionately calls "Old Faithful" and near which he was now fishing. I set up my drift from this spot at around 10am and was watching Brian, a little downwind of me, when I saw his rod bend as he took the weight of a reasonable fish. As I saw this happen, my jig was picked up lightly but firmly and I also found myself hooked into a fish, which soon revealed itself as a keeper snapper.

1004hrs. My second keeper, a bronze coloured snapper.

Shortly after this we all agreed that it was time to call it a day so we paddled back together in close company. During the paddle back, about 2km from MG, Jim got a hookup on his trolled lure.

1102hrs. Jim fighting his fish (still from video).

As we all expected because they'd been blasting out from time to time, it was a mackerel tuna, which Jim opted to release.

1103hrs. Jim releases his (quite large) mac tuna (still from video).

The surf zone transit now occupied us. After leaving Jew Shoal we were overtaken by some spectacularly steep swells which gave us an idea of what might be in store and as we approached the beach we could see that there were some quite nasty sets rolling in now and again, smashing themselves on the rocks of the groyne. Would we get wet arses on the way in? There was only one way to find out. Brian went first and did an excellent job of his transit. Jaro and I saw our chances simultaneously and started next, about 30 m apart (E-W). Obviously we'd picked the sets pretty well for we weren't overwhelmed by any large waves. As we approached the beach, Jim appeared in our peripheral vision neatly surfing a small wave further to the west. He passed us easily and cruised up onto the beach making us both jealous that we hadn't cracked the same wave. All four of us got in without getting wet.

1135hrs. The yaks assembled on the beach. From left, Jim, madcow, Jaro.

The take home catch. Not spectacular, but very tasty. Madcow's fish is in the middle

Thanks for organising, Jaro. maybe next Wednesday is viable for the next foray into the enemy territory? Note all that Madcow and Steve (turtle boy) are interested in having a go tomorrow so contact them if you're interested. I may get there but don't know yet.

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment