jaro & madcow, JS 11Oct09

From: "Jaro Cerny"
Subject: Fishing... 11/10/09
Date: Sunday, 11 October 2009 12:50 PM

Hi Yakkers,

I woke up this morning at 3.45am and went outside... good... no wind. Had a look at seabreeze... no change from last night but DI Point blowing 15-20knots. Still seabreeze said the wind would abate so what the heck I was now wide awake and unlikely to be able to get back to sleep and I didn't want to let the others down. So I had a hearty breakfast with strong coffee then had another look outside the wind was now there... not a good sign. Worse was to follow... decided to check the emails and sure enough Kevin had decided to go back to bed after checking the wind outside his house. Anyway I decided to press on and drove to MG to find Brian (whalebait) there also dubious about going. We looked at the sea and it was lumpy with a strongish breeze. We had noted that Ian Tagg had already ventured out so we decided to have a go. We could always turn back.

Getting out was very easy and soon we were heading for SR (5.30am) against the wind and a lumpy sea. Progress was slow and as we passed Granite Bay (edit: possibly Tea Tree Bay?) a whale meandered 50 metres in front of us on its way south. As we started to pass Dolphin Point it became noticeably rougher due to the current, backwash, wind and swell, whereupon we decided discretion was the better part of valour and aborted going to NSR but having got this far we decided to to turn and head for JS.

I went toward my new found mark while Brian went to one of his marks. My anticipated drift path did not work out so I went direct to my mark and was encouraged by seeing many fish on my fishfinder. Sure enough I had a few bites and a good strike but it got off the hook after 5 seconds. Then I got a good strike and after a short tussle boated a 42 cm snapper. Brian joined me but after a number of drifts over my mark without success Brian decide to continue his drift. A little while later a rain squall hit us and shortly after I suggested we head for home. Brian at about this time had just boated a 40 cm sweet lip. With this we pulled up stakes and headed for shore at 9.05am. The trip back was fast and easy, and with both the wind and waves pushing us we arrived at MG in under 30 minutes. Our return was easy and we both had good surf rides in.

So all in all it was not the most enjoyable trip we have had but we did at least catch a decent meal each.

By the way, for those interested in how I assessed my new carbon fibre paddle, I found it performed beyond my expectations... it is unbelievably light and definitely made paddling far less tiring and is easier to use and handle. I am also certain it enabled me to paddle faster with the same effort.

Many thanks for coming Brian.

Re tomorrow, I will confirm later this afternoon.

Jaro
Noosa Yakkers Coordinator
Viking Pro Fish 45
Call Sign Jaro

No comments:

Post a Comment