SR, 16 snapper, vid, 25Sep09

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing today -- 25sep09 -- more snapper
Date: Friday, 25 September 2009 3:26 PM

Today was the only offshore yakfishing weather on offer in the last week or so. We'd been watching the forecast for several days -- the wind was to drop away starting Thursday afternoon and stay below 10 knots until about noon Friday (today) when a strong northerly would kick in. The swell was also forecast to be well under 2m, so all looked great as our plans gradually came together. Thursday night the emails started to fly around. Initially it looked like we'd have six starters but Brian announced that he had to look after some visitors (accompanying them on an offshore fishing trip in a power boat). So we were down to five. I had hopes that we might be able to launch from Sunshine Beach, but a 0515 recce of the beach by Harry put the kybosh on that -- swell too big!

So it was that Harry and I arrived at the MG carpark around 0530. Jaro's car was there and Jaro was on the beach ready to launch so off he went, destination Sunshine Reef. Very soon Mark arrived (callsign: Doctor Dog) and shortly afterward Jim. Conditions couldn't have been better...

0544hrs. Launch time for Harry (pictured) and me.

I was having trouble keeping my wetsuit (short) pants up while dragging the yak down to the launch point and it wasn't until I was sitting in the yak and paddling out through the break that I noticed I had them on back to front. They were hanging so low that I was uncomfortable and certainly not ready for several hours in the saddle. There was nothing for it but to turn around and return to the beach where a puzzled early morning rambler watched as I hurriedly took them off and put them on the right way, without removing my dive booties, then jumped back into the kayak and once more braved the perilous swell.

But what a glorious morning. The sea was flat, a squadron of surf kayaks had just passed heading west and a snub-finned (editor: actually a humpback dolphin) dolphin was searching for breakfast just off the end of the rock wall. Jaro was already out of sight, Harry was just starting his journey and Jim and Mark had just launched. Before long an east bound string of Noosa Yakkers could be seen by anyone taking an early morning ramble along the National Park cliff walk: Jaro, Harry, me, Jim and Mark, varying distances separating us.

Jaro headed straight out to the spot he'd favoured last trip and which had delivered several good snapper for him, and the rest of us. Harry opted for that spot also and I could hear them on the radio coordinating their movements. Jim caught up with me just after I stopped at Hells Gates to set up my sonar in its mount and after discussing intended destinations, he decided to stick with me to fish my newest favourite spot, the location of which he had previously been unaware. This spot has an advantage over Jaro and Harry's spot in that it was a good 500m closer to us than theirs.

On arrival, I gave the signal to Jim to mark the spot on his GPS, noting several fish echoes displaying on my sonar. As was soon revealed by GPS, our drift was toward the SE, a combination of the N-S current and westerly wind. Depth was around 26-29m and the drift was perfect. We were fishing by around 0700hrs and as I recall, the action started pretty well immediately. Harry announced by radio that he had a snapper aboard. Shortly afterward Jim scored a point for our location by letting all know that he'd just caught a snapper also. Then I got one, a small-ish 40cm model, but very good eating so it was kept (Who knows, it may be the only one I catch!). Then Mark called in asking for rendezvous directions, which were quickly given to him. Very soon Jim and I spotted Mark headed our way. So there were three of us at my spot, and two at Jaro's spot, some 500m further east.

0736hrs. Mark shortly after he joined us. Note the residue of the recent dust storm fading out the Sunshine Beach background.

Incidentally, I feel obliged to mention that my spot had been revealed by sonar as a likely fish location a few weeks back, when I did a random transit of the western edge of the reef. It looked good then, and I marked it for possible future attention. Since then it has produced my best ever sweetlip and a couple of excellent snapper. So the location of this choice piece of reef is known to a privileged few, and was a gift of modern technology (sonar and GPS), and old-fashioned reconnaissance.

Jim announced the capture of another snapper. Then another, his third. That did it, Jaro and Harry could soon be seen paddling toward us. At around 0750 I had a solid take on my cast soft plastic and I turned on chest cam for some video and sound recording. Before long I had my second snapper in the yak.

0755hrs. My snapper #2. By now, Jim had 3, Harry 1.

From this time for the next hour or so, it seemed that the fish went on a feeding frenzy. Jim hooked and dropped his snapper #4. Mark scored one, then another. Just a few minutes after my fish #2, I hooked up again and had a spirited fight with what turned out to be the best fish of the day.

0806hrs. My snapper #3. 62cm.

By now radio reports were flying through the ether: "I'm hooked up again!", "Got another in the boat!", and "Bloody Hell, why can't I catch one?", this last from Jaro.

Having stowed snapper #3 in the fishbox, I turned my attention to the trailing outfit (also armed with a jighead and soft plastic) which had so far got no action at all. I picked it up out of the rod holder and immediately it was hit. After a short tussle on the relatively heavy gear, my snapper #4 was in the boat.

0814hrs. My snapper #4, taken on heavy jighead baited with white Snapback SP.

At this stage, I was in front on the snapper scoreboard. Jim had 3, I had 4. Very soon, however, Jim announced that his fourth was in the boat. Now that I had secured four snapper I reverted to using only one rod as the snapper bag limit is five and there seemed every likelihood of a double hook up, which would leave me with six snapper -- an embarrassing situation. Then, sometime later Jim announced that he'd reached his bag limit and was thus ceasing fishing. Shortly after this, Mark announced that his three snapper were enough for him and that he was ceasing fishing also.

I fished on for a while but I was satisfied with my bag and was anxious to take some pics back on the beach so I decided to pull the pin about 0915 and accompany Jim and Mark back to the launch point. On the way we passed Harry just as he caught his fourth snapper...

0926hrs. How good are those conditions? Harry with snapper #4.

So off Jim, Mark and I paddled, leaving Harry and Jaro to continue. It was an easy paddle back but the increased swell size became obvious when we passed the 6m deep water just north of Hell's Gates. The swells were building like mountains behind us as we travelled in windless conditions but of course they soon dissipated once they encountered the deeper water at the entrance to Granite Bay. Jim and I travelled back non-stop (except for the compulsory stop to stow gear before transiting the surf zone), hitting the beach around 1030hrs. A young beachgoing bloke with his male child sauntered up and asked "Catch any fish?". What could I do? I unlatched the fishbox lid and dragged out my tethered catch, all together. The gasp he uttered was worth the long 15km paddle. So, it was time for the measure mat and individual photos.

Mark's take-home catch, cleaned whilst on the water. Largest ~54cm.

Jim's bag limit catch. Largest ~54cm.

My take home catch. Largest ~62cm.

A bikini clad young lady then agreed to photograph this trio. How she restrained herself from getting our phone numbers I'll never know. The young beach-going females aren't as forward as the older ones for some reason. Anyway here's the best of the several pics she took.

From left, Jim, Mark, Kev -- sitting on Mark's yak on Main Beach, Noosa. Yes, I need a haircut.

Jim and I hung around until Harry and Jaro came in, about an hour after we did. Here's Harry with his four snapper.

Harry and his four snapper.

Lastly, Jaro -- here's a pic of him in his new Skins and Malibu Classic sun top.

VIDEO: For anyone interested... includes some commentary delivered by radio from Jaro, "Hollywood" Harry (could be a good call sign, mate), Mark as well as grunts etc from me. Hollywood stick indeed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTsDTWFfxFU


Another great trip, yakkers. Looks like an opportunity coming up on Wednesday. Look out snapper! Oh, and did you notice in the fishing report in today's Noosa News that mention was made of spotty macs at the river mouth? Make sure you're ready for these speedsters when we encounter them, as we surely will in the next few months.

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://noosayakers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment