snapper galore, 10Aug09

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing (snappering) today -- 10aug09
Date: Monday, 10 August 2009 5:41 PM

The day started early, really early. The plan was that we'd paddle to Sunshine Reef (northern end) from Middle Groyne because a) the fishing at Jew Shoal had been pretty slow lately and b) the swell was too big to launch safely from Sunshine Beach. So we were facing a 5.8km paddle just to get to the fishing grounds. But, the weather forecast was great so that plan was firmed up on Sunday evening, at which time Jaro, madcow and I declared our hands and elected to GO.

Above, the plan -- 5.8km from MG to A4 01.

Jaro had nominated a 0545 arrival for a 0600 launch. Bugger me, the sun doesn't rise till about 0625. Never mind, come first light this morning, there were three cars in the Middle Groyne carpark and each was carrying a kayak and a sleepy, grumpy, noosa yakker. It all went like a military operation. Hardly a word was spoken apart from perfunctory good mornings and before long the three yaks were on the beach and their owners were pondering the complexities of launching into the surf in the half light. Jaro, as usual was jumping with enthusiasm, even though he'd verbalised some reservations while standing peering into the gloom, watching the white water appear at the end of the channel. He was away first...

0558 hrs. Jaro enters the channel first. How's that for timing -- nominated launch time being 0600?

I launched directly after Jaro, aware that he would probably hold in the deep hole near the exit while awaiting a lull in the surges. Sure enough, very soon we were nose to tail, manoeuvering our tiny craft in the cramped space of the deeper channel between the rocks and the area of breaking water. A lull soon appeared so Jaro and I shot out of the exit without getting wet. Very nice on such a chilly morning! Madcow followed without needing even to wait near the exit. Phase 1 successfully executed.

Jaro was clearly pumped up because he was set up in a jiffy and next thing announced on the radio "See you out there" and paddled off toward the place on the horizon where the sun seemed likely to first appear. Brian (madcow) and I followed a few minutes later.

We were facing a 1 hour paddle, but the breeze was very light and the swell, though growing as we left the Bay, was no real burden. Just after passing the Boiling Pot I saw a chunky tuna (probably a longtail) clear the water directly in our path, then soon after, another. Brian and I were both trolling hard bodied lures and I half expected that we might get a strike from a tuna here but it seems they'd moved on before we got to their hunting area.

Passing Hells Gates we were tossed about like corks in the reflected waves and the steep swells caused by the shallows thereabouts but were soon through and heading into the open ocean. Or rather, I was. Jaro had headed south after rounding Hells Gates and Brian had opted to go with him, while I, having preset my GPS last night with a known mark, was heading SE. Before long Jaro, by radio, asked me where I was headed. I told him, and he and Brian decided to join me. So it happened that we arrived at my mark together, with my companions gradually closing with me from my right. Once at the mark, both Brian and Jaro saved it as a waypoint on their GPS and fishing commenced. I noted that the depth was around 30m, but we were prepared for this greater than usual fishing depth and very soon our various rigs were deployed and we commenced a drift, not sure where we'd go as the current varies here and the wind was very light. I put out my trailing outfit first then rigged up my casting outfit with a 1/4oz jighead instead of my customary Jew Shoal 1/8 oz head, in recognition of the greater depth. Brian was very close to me at this time and he had a great view and heard the sound effects of my trailing outfit bent over and line pouring from the spool. My first thought was that I'd possibly been snagged but one glance at the rod was sufficient for me to know that there was a substantial fish on the other end of the line. A short, dogged fight ensued which ended with the first fish of the day popping up next to the yak...

0736hrs. A beautiful Sunshine Reef snapper. Very welcome, after two trips in a row without bringing a fish home.

Shortly afterward Jaro announced that he was hooked up and he also boated a snapper (pic later, on the beach). Then our paths diverged a little as individual preferences took hold. For me the action was pretty consistent. Some pics:

0901hrs. My snapper #2. This time on my light casting outfit.

0908hrs. Snapper #3 -- 69cm of fighting snapper taken on the trailing rig

0919hrs. Jaro with his second or third snapper. Madcow behind, and Coolum headland in the distance behind him.

For the record. This is the rig I used on the trailing outfit. Note the snapper teeth marks on the jighead. The soft plastic is a Snap-back, a particularly resilient type of SP. In fact, after taking three fish today, this Snap-back was returned to the packet unblemished to be used again next time. The jig head is one I made myself more than 30 years ago, for the purpose of high speed trolling for pelagics.

1020hrs. My snapper #4.

1135hrs. My snapper #5. This stopped me fishing because I'd reached my bag limit.

During all of the above I'd hooked at least three other snapper, all on the light casting outfit. In one case the fish self-released at depth (hook became free) and in another the line broke at the knot where it was tied to the jighead, and probably abraided by teeth.

Having reached my bag limit I stopped fishing, tidied up and turned for home (Middle Groyne) which I discovered by GPS was some 5.4km distant (I will verify this later as I have the reef marked on my GPS). Jaro and Brian opted to hang about for a while longer and I informed them that I'd hang around on the beach for them in order to take photos and watch them come back through the surf zone.

My trip back was uneventful, but about 1.5km into my journey Jaro told me by radio that a pod of whales had appeared between him and me. I understand that Brian may have taken a few pics.

I arrived off the beach at Middle Groyne around 1300 after a non-stop 1 hour paddle which I found very invigorating, especially as I had a following swell and light breeze. I tidied up and prepared for the surf zone transit, picked a slot and went for it only to find a larger wave than I'd expected breaking behind me. I could see it coming out of the corner of my eye and reckoned that it was too big to surf in nose first so opted to partly broach the yak just before the wave hit me. This had the desired effect and I had the great pleasure of riding the wave in at about 45° yaw until the wave lost strength and I straightened the yak up and hit the beach at right angles and nose first. Wow! I was very pleased that this worked so well as I could see several beachgoers watching me closely, no doubt hoping that I'd go arse-up.

1311hrs. On the beach. My catch arrayed on the back deck of my yak.

My largest snapper, 69cm.

My bag limit catch.

As usual, heaps of questions emanated from beachgoers. This father and son pair would really benefit from owning and using a kayak. They couldn't believe that such fish could be taken from such a tiny boat.

And then Jaro and Brian came in, both very professionally picking a clean gap in the swells.

Above: Jaro's best fish (of four caught) -- 59cm.

Jaro's take home catch after giving a fish to Brian.

In the carpark, just as I was leaving, Mark Powell, the newest Noosa Yakker, introduced himself and I showed him the fish. Nice to meet you Mark. See you on the water soon.

This was one of the best yak fishing trips ever. I think we've now found a viable alternative to Jew Shoal, even if the paddle distance is greater. I note that we could sometimes easily try JS first, then adjourn to this particular part of Sunshine Reef should JS be unproductive.

Thanks for organising, Jaro and thanks to you and Brian for coming along. When are we going again?

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://noosayakers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment