Spooled, soaked! JS, 17Mar12

TR by gemini and jaro, presented in that sequence

1. From gemini

Participants: jaro, gemini, kodaz, yakfinn
Swell: 2.1m Easterly
Wind: 8-10knt SE inside bay, 10-15knt outside
Distance: 12.3 km
Max Speed: 10.0 km/hour (Editor: going down a wave?)
Avg Speed: 3.7 km/hour

After unloading and making our way down to the beach, we assessed the launch conditions. There were decent gaps to be found in the sets of waves breaking at the end of the groyne, but it didn't look pleasant. We allowed jaro to be the guinea pig and followed him out with no incident (or even a wet bum!).

We headed towards Jew Shoal finding the conditions to be fairly lumpy, and the water close to the beach had a brown tinge to it. Before reaching Jew Shoal proper we encountered several large bustups just inside the bay. We chased these for a while, but the little buggers were moving around too fast to cast at. I managed to cast at a couple of small schools, but the most action I had was a tuna chasing the slug right up to the yak and then thumbing its proverbial nose at me. We trolled around for a while longer, but with no joy. Yakfinn managed to hook a feisty little tuna, but the tuna decided it REALLY didn't want to be caught and swam off with the entire contents of Yakfinn's spool!

It was about this time the rain kicked in with a vengeance and we made the call to head home. The trip back was uneventful, although Kodaz spotted what he suspected was a mako shark taking an impressive jump a good 6ft out of the water. The rain really hammered down and I was hard pressed to see the beach even 500m from the groyne. At least the rain took the edge off the swell for a bit!

The breakers were still hammering the groyne when we headed back in, and yakfinn had an unplanned swim. Jaro seems to think I rode a wave like a madman on my re-entry, but I was too busy trying not a have a swim myself to notice! I'll let him report what he saw. :)

Above: Matt's GPS track for today

Cheers!
Matt (Gemini)

:::::::::::

2. From jaro

Conditions: Cloudy but fine early with showers missing us to the north and south during the morning and then started to hit us as we decided to head for home.

We arrived in the car park at around 5.00am and were ready for launching at 5.25am. The tide was still high and the channel along MG was nice and quiet. I headed off first and waited at the end of MG very, very patiently as there were a few large waves that were best left alone. On seeing what appeared to be a lull I headed out at full speed with the adrenalin pumping into my muscles and found myself out safely only to look behind me to see the rest of the guys also out safe and dry.

I had absolutely no touches during the the whole time out there.

At just after 8.00am we were hit by a shower when I suggested we head for home. All readily agreed.

By the time we reached MG the tide had nearly reached its low mark making the return very intimidating indeed. Sean and Kodaz were already ashore... Kodaz safely and Sean had a lovely warm swim being well and truly rolled by a big one.

I found myself back paddling furiously as a large wave loomed above me and I only just avoided being dumped. I then positioned myself abreast of the waves so that I could chose to go for it or to seek the safety of the deeper waters only to find a large wave suddenly loom up and start breaking over me. I thought I was done for but immediately leaned into the wave as it crashed onto me. It carried me sideways towards the beach at what seemed a furious pace and then suddenly I was in the calm after the wave and paddled madly to the safety of the channel and to shore to the applause of Sean and Kodaz.

We now awaited Gemini's return. It appeared as if he made the decision to go for it when a large wave appeared behind him and we thought he was a goner but as luck or good management would have it the wave slid under him as it broke leaving him now behind the wave. Gemini continued to paddle in nonchalantly as if it was piece of cake, not even noting our applause.

Jaro

3 comments:

  1. onya boys!
    I had my yak on the roof of the car ready to go this morning, got up at 4am, checked the weather and radar,,,,,,,,,,,no, went back to bed!
    Glad I did now.
    Jeff
    (richmond)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After chasing some small bust ups around jew shoal for a while I finally got close enough to get a cast away. First cast and wham! The fish hit pretty hard and ripped line off my spool at a cracking pace. I probably didn't have my drag set tight enough, so another lesson learnt the hard way. I should have realised what was about to occur and tighten the drag up, but I had just looked behind me to have a look where my trolling line was lying and I heard a PING! Shattered!

    As for the beach landing, well it wasn't pretty. I copped a set whilst in the break zone and I was rolled. The kayak ended up about five metres away from me so I had to swim after it and re enter. It was a tad embarassing as there was a few surfers looking on, but it didnt phase me too much as I do quite a lot of surfing myself, and so I feel pretty comfortable in the break zone. Jono, Jaro and Matt all landed like true professionals, well done! Kev it would have been great if you had the camera there today, I'm sure my landing would have given everyone a good giggle.

    Sean (yakfinn)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've pinpointed the exact location of my 10km/h "sprint", and yes, it's most likely on the downhill of a big wave, with the swell, with a tailwind, on the return trip just outside the bay.

    If i'd noticed the applause at the time I probably still wouldn't have acknowledged it Jaro....all that was running through my head was "don't roll don't roll don't roll don't roll don't roll don't roll don't roll don't roll don't roll" :D

    ReplyDelete