Borumba Sadness 21Apr12


TR by Gemini

Distance 9.9 km
Max Speed 6.0 km/hour
Avg Speed 2.4 km/hour

Participants:  Gemini, Jag-One

After driving through some pretty dense fog to get to the lake, I launched just before 7AM into picture postcard scenery.






Who needs to fish when you can sit around and look at this all day?

After a couple of minutes paddling, Jag-One checked in over the radio and said he was unloading in the car park. While waiting, I trolled my way over to a small bay and flicked a few lures to pass the time, but had no joy. The sounder was showing a lot of activity deep down, but nothing my shallow diving and surface lures could attract. Jag-One made his way over and we continued our journey.

Jag-One opted to have a fish free day and paddle out solely to collect his red-claw traps...




...while my yak was armed to the teeth and bristled with all sorts of freshwater tackle.





As we progressed around the lake, the sounder was showing a lot of fishy activity at various depths. Switching between poppers, spinners, and trolling a bibless minnow had nil effect on the appetite of the fish though.

We reached the spot jag-One had placed his traps and he set about retrieving them. I drifted about amongst the trees, changing lures a few times, but nothing was hungry. Jag-One had taken a few nice red-claw, but not quite as nice a haul as his last trip. He decided to run his armoured lunch back in, so we said our goodbyes and parted ways.

I then took my time down one of the inlets to the lake, casting at every bubble and swirl in the hope of getting a touch, but still nothing. I landed on a dry part of the creek bed and had a snack while I nursed my injured pride back to health so I could venture out to try again.







I headed back up the inlet and to the north. By this time it was getting fairly warm, so I decided to try another group of trees in the hope the structure there housed some hungry fishies, and then head for home...I should have just head for home. I didn't register a single bump, twitch, or knock on the line. The fish were on the sounder, but just not hungry.

On my way back I ran across a couple of gents in stinkys who were grumbling about the same issues I had faced (no fish). One mentioned the water quality wasn't great at the moment, but not being a regular there I couldn't really be a judge of that. When I pulled into the boat ramp I spied a reasonable yellowbelly being filleted, and upon my congratulations to the owner I was told it was the only hungry (insert expletive here) fish out there today.

No fish, but nice scenery. I've seen a lot more of Borumba today than I have in the past at least, and although I didn't get as far as i'd have liked, I have a much better idea of the layout so I can plan for next time.




GPS Track

No comments:

Post a Comment