Lake Mac bass are back, 03Apr12

TR by Gemini

Where: Lake MacDonald
Participants: Gemini
Conditions: light breeze 5-7knts, sunny, reasonable water quality
Distance: 3.0 km
Max Speed: 6.5 km/hour
Avg Speed: 1.0 km/hour

A 6:15AM launch found me amongst the weed near the bird hide on the S/E arm of Lake Macdonald. The water looked good, and the baitfish and bugs were about, so it looked promising. After passing through the weed and progressing into the first channel, I started casting with my bibless minnow. Three casts later I had my first strike. He fought hard for his size, and I had to release some drag, taking him perilously close to the weeds. I boated him without too much other drama and measured him up.


He measured in at just shy of 32cm (30cm is legal), and then went back to fight another day.


I took my time cruising the channels around that single arm of the lake, alternating between my minnow and a 1/4oz spinner. I took a few hits here and there, but none took the hook. The bird and insect life were plentiful, and as I reached the top of my circuit the surface activity picked up. I switched to a popper and attempted to find some interest, but was not successful.

I switched back to the minnow and made my way slowly back to the launch site. It wasn't far from where I landed the first bass that I came across my second for the morning.


This little fella was just over 20cm, so he also went back for a swim.


On my way in I passed a couple of solemn looking black swans who honked in greeting (more in alarm I suspect), but I didn't have the camera handy unfortunately. Lake MacDonald always knows how to put on a show of wildlife for your viewing pleasure.


I can't rave about these things enough. The River2Sea Mini Vib 43. Apparently they're great for bream too.


GPS Track Map

No comments:

Post a Comment