Lake Mac - 5 bass, 5 million mozzies, 26Oct12


TR by Gemini

Participants:  Gemini, Weeksie
Conditions: fine, steady breeze with medium gusts

By the time I arrived (just before 4PM), Weeksie was already unloading at the strawberry patch launch. I quickly unloaded and we hit the lake. We noted as we entered the water that the level of the lake had dropped significantly, but with the lack of rain I guess that's to be expected.

We moved around the S-bend slowly, but without a strike. The wind was also blowing us around a little, but it wasn't as annoying as it could have been. It wasn't until we approached Rusty's Run that I had the first strike of the day.


Bass, 31cm


We hung around the Palm Farm area for a while and I had another strike, but lost the fish in the weeds. I then let myself drift around the corner towards Fry's Run, but asides from a few black swans and some vague hints of surface action, there was little happening in that direction.

I started to head around the top end of the Palm Farm around the steeper banks, and I had another few good tugs on the line which didn't take. By this time it was getting dark and the mozzies were moving in. I swapped over my baby vibe for a popper and slowly made my way back to Weeksie at Rusty's Run. I was casting along the way, but with no result.

Cursing my popper (as I usually do), I swapped back to my baby vibe for the run home. This was a lucky thing, as not far from meeting up with Weeksie again I had another strike...and this one took. He was slow about it. I felt the tug, I paused, slowly moved the lure, then another tug, then he slowly moved off before realising there was a hook in his gob. Once landed I could see why: he had swallowed my baby vibe whole.


Bass, 34cm. Apparently the GoPro2 doesn't like low light situations.


Weeksie made his way over and told me he had landed three bass in my absence around the same area (photos to come). As much as we would have liked the fishing to continue, the mozzies were starting to take chunks of flesh off our bodies (AFTER liberal repellent application), so we called it a day.

Cheers!

Matt (Gemini)


No comments:

Post a Comment