Marlin hookup. 17Oct12

TR by Pedro

Wind: light NW turning NE 10-15knots
Swell: small
Current: none
Launch Point: Middle Groyne
Participants: Pedro

Launched at 4.15, the first hints of light were on the horizon.

Trolled to and around Little Halls then Halls with not a sniff on the HBs.

Bottom fished and caught a dozen or so small squire and grassies, all throwbacks.

When the wind turned, I packed up, and trolling west from Halls, I hooked up on something that had some weight but wasn't taking drag so while retrieving the other line I kept pedalling to hopefully stay hooked up. This achieved, I turned the yak by winding and holding the rod tip to the bow. I saw a splash about 50m out but didn't see the fish, still no drag taken. I start winding and the fish comes toward me, keeping the line tight. Ten metres out, a marlin jumps, mouth open head shaking (the marlin and me too I think), the lure flies and the fish is free.

I estimate it was around 2m long and 40-50kg and the lure was a Sebile Koolie Minnow LL FW in pilchard pattern.

Cheers
Pedro

4 comments:

  1. Well Well Well. That really is eye popping news. Excellent work. There do seem to be reports filtering through the fishing community indicating strong movements and numbers in the Marlin population. What a weird start to the season though dead quiet or sheer delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad luck Pete.

    Says a lot for having singles on your hardbodies. They're a lot easier to sink into the fish than trebles.
    It's hard to sink the hook if they don't take drag hey?
    They've got a pretty boney gob.
    But in saying that, I know of one caught 2 weeks ago on treble hooks.

    What a bummer, next time mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. looks like its time to bring out the big guns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gives us all hope for the near future

    ReplyDelete