Spots by dugout. 08Dec12

TR by dugout, with contribution by tarzan

Weather was a bit iffy when I woke at 4.00 am. Decided to go for a look and walk the kayak down the hill to Main Beach.

Loaded up with a kilo of frozen pillies and a dozen prawns in case of bottom fishing. Took one trolling rod rigged up with gang hooks to troll. Had a nylon leader of about 1 m and a swivel and small torpedo lead sinker to keep the bait down while trolling. Other rod was rigged with a small 2 inch silver slug to throw into bait boils if the fish were feeding.

It takes about 12 minutes down to launch and sky looked dark with a hint of rain. Launched about 4.25 near eastern corner of Main Beach. It was bouncy but easy with a 12 to 15 kt north east wind and choppy uneven north swell.

I did a radio check about 4.30 but did not get a reply. I thought maybe a little more swell was coming into MG and made it difficult to launch. Jew Shoal seemed a little bouncy for me so I decided to have a paddle around the shark nets and troll around to Hells Gates for a look.

Swell and wind from the NE made it uncomfortable but fine for a slow bait troll. Out near Hells Gates, I saw lots of terns but no bait boils, just the occasional tern diving.

My trolled rig with a yellow tail pike as bait screamed off the reel and as I grabbed it, it went dead. No wire trace! The razor gang had arrived.

Rigged again and trolled a pilchard and within minutes had hooked and landed a 77cm spotty mackerel. A passing small boat saw the action and they started tossing slugs nearby. Within minutes they also hooked up and landed a spotty as well.

Using pillies I hooked and lost a few more before finally landing another slightly larger spotty. Lost two at the kayak. One shook the hooks and self released and another was lost when I gaffed it and lifted it on the yak. It gave a big shake, threw the hooks and my slipper grip (editor: slipper?). Gone.

I looked behind me and my bag of pillies had washed from the back. No bait left. Gone.

It was about 6am. Birds had been working out from Granite Bay, Hells Gates towards Jew Shoal and into Laguna Bay. No bait and only one small slug to use.

Decided to head home.

Without any bait, I decided to troll the slug. The only thing I had left.

About three minutes later, line was screaming off the reel. This was a good fish. I played it for about 90 seconds and it was free. Bent the treble.

There were plenty of fish there today. I will be better organised next time.

When I cleaned the fish, they were full of small sardine-looking fish (editor: possibly anchovies) about 2 to 3 inches long. Obviously these were their breakfast so choose a similar bait or slug to suit their diet.

They seemed widespread and I just followed the birds. More boats were coming out as I was leaving and I am sure I could see a couple of kayaks. Tried the NY channel but no response.

Good luck tomorrow. I have a few things on tomorrow morning so I will go early next week if weather permits.


Doug McDougall
Dugout




Contribution by tarzan

My father and I were out this morning launching at 5:30. Forgot my radio so was unable to contact Dugout.

We trolled off the headland and picked up half a dozen spotties before heading in.

Will hopefully get out again tomorrow.
Tarzan


Tarzan and Dad of Tarzan



No comments:

Post a Comment