Sunshine beach launch, 29Dec12

TR by Jamie-D

Hey Guys,

Launched from Sunshine Beach 4.30am on my own. Faced some initial stiff opposition in the form of wave sets standing up about 50m off shore, finally got out the back. Set out for Sunshine reef with some very lumpy seas early on that glassed off about 6.30am to small manageable chop out on the reef itself. Troller a Halco laser Pro and another lure with a large bib I forget the name of just off the top of my head. Scater came on the VHF from a Stink boat after spotting me all the way out there with the boat brigade, he wasn't having much luck when I last saw him. Contacted Scater just before starting to to head back to Sunshine beach to say good luck and I'm heading back to Sunshine beach with a slow troll , then I signed off and turned my radio off.

Funny how ironic life can be , only yesterday I decided that I was going to make a habit from now on of having a rod rigged with a slug just in case. Well 500 m from sunshine beach " In case " happened. Apparently out of nowhere a massive bust up appeared , about 30 m north of where the rocks begin at the end of Sunshine Beach and about 500m out from the beach itself. I was actually just thinking when the bust up appeared , I think I'll pack my rods away and get ready for a surf landing. I jumped straight on the VHF to contact Scater and his offsider but obviously he'd turned off his radio, Scater ?

Thankfully I had my rod rigged and ready to go. The bust up was pelagics feeding agressively on the surface spalshing like all hell, I couldn't make a call on the species as I'm relatively new to fishing for Pelagic Species and would just be guessing . The Bust up was initially one mass about 20m across , but after being disturbed by some pr!ck in a stinker that came roaring over to join the fun after seeing the birds going mental and the spalshing the school went deep and then reappeared in two groups about 10m across in surface area. I was throwing a 10gram slug and managed to hammer about half a dozen casts into the group before the moved out of my range followed by the stinker. Made my way in after that flurry of excitement.

Had to laugh had no action all morning about 4-5km offshore and then the party is only 500m off Sunshine Beach.

Hope that info is of use or at least signals some increase in activity.

Regards
Jamie D

1 comment:

  1. Large flock of birds working again late yesterday afternoon approximately 250 metres directly out from DSA

    ReplyDelete