Carlton's Friday Night, 25Jan13

Trip Report By: Carlton
Wind: 20-25 knot gusts
Swell: N/A
Launch point: Munna Point
Participants: Carlton

I arrived at Davo’s at around 6pm for comp briefing and headed to Munna point at 7pm. As it was blowing a gale and raining on and off, I thought it would be best to head up Weyba creek and find a spot out of the wind.

After a quick troll around Weyba hole I paddled to what looked like a nice spot tucked away out of the wind. But getting there was hard as the wind was that strong I could barely hang onto the paddle. As I finally pulled up, dropped the anchor and kicked back with the rain at my back, I chucked a line out with a piece of fresh mullet. after a while with only a few bites I thought I would flick a gladiator prawn around, I see Ian always uses them so I would give it a go. Second cast and I had a good hit and I was on to a solid fish. after I was towed around for a while, I saw a round looking thing, Not a stingray! I must be doing something wrong with the Gladiator Prawn.

After re-rigging, I chucked out the old trusty savoy shad hardbody and trolled close to the jetties hoping to keep out of the wind. After about 2minutes of trolling i had a massive strike and before i could put the paddle into the holder and pick up the rod, the fish had stripped about 30m of line of my reel. I was being towed around for about 10 minute before landing a solid Jack. I had trouble getting it into the net. I paddled to the bank to get some photos and measure the fish. It went 59cm and later weighed 2.85kg.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Savoy Shad, same colour use to catch Jack.

I paddled around for a couple of hours and tried to fish woods bay but it was blowing too hard. So back up the creek I went and found Ian getting around, had a quick chat and we went our ways. I got sick of the wind so went to the sound bridge and pulled up for the night. At least I had one good fish and dinner.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photo courtesy of Bill Watson taken at Munna Point.

And on the mat

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Carlton

Contribution from Eyetag


I caught my first ? but unfortunately it doesn't count in the comp and I also had to release it which is a bummer, but I'm stoked to have caught it. Conditions were awful, bordering on dangerous. I might give it a try later tonight if I get itchy feet.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

  1. That's the best mangrove jack I've seen in a long time, Carlton. And those barra catches are becoming almost routine. Well done both of you in atrocious conditions.

    ReplyDelete