Lake Mac Quickie - 01Mar13


TR by Gemini
Participants:  Gemini
Launch Site: Strawberry Patch, Lake MacDonald
Conditions: Overcast, rain periods, light breeze

After yesterdays failed trip (for reasons you can see here) I was pretty keen to get out on the water today, regardless of weather. After a slight delay getting ready, I finally launched at around 4PM into a light rain.

The action was slow going for a while. Bait fish were jumping all over the place with birds cleaning them up, but the mummy and daddy fish were apparently still asleep. I made my way around towards Toga Bay, passing a nest full of baby birds of prey high up in a tree. They were too high for my GoPro to get a shot of unfortunately, but they were big and noisy. I'm still trying to identify the species.

I moved up towards the Palm Farm and found some inquisitive swans barring the way. They were honking and carrying on, but they didn't seem too worried when my path led right between a pair of them.



At the top end of the Palm Farm, after no strikes whatsoever, I decided to let the breeze push me back the way I had came and take the lazy way home. Good plan said the fish, we'll play now...

Strike one gave me the first bass of the day, measuring in at 37cm.



Strike two happened not 3 casts after releasing the first bass. This fella measured in at 35cm.



Only another 5 minutes had passed when strike three had my reel buzzing. This guy felt like a good fish, diving and running about like crazy. He measured in at 39cm.



After the excitement I had no further luck. I had a couple of missed strikes near Toga Bay (one I managed to get on video), but no takers. By this time it was getting dark, so I called it a day. As usual, video to come later.

Cheers!

Matt (Gemini)

1 comment:

  1. Well done Matt,nice fish, thanks for the report. Much more fun than catching fish fingers (hope the hook came out easy). Lake Mac looks like a good option with the Mary river being so flooded.
    Cheers Greg (mangrove mac)

    ReplyDelete