Fatty the Steamtrain - 01Apr13


TR by Gemini
Participants:  Gemini
Launch Site: Strawberry Patch, Lake MacDonald
Conditions: Fine, moderate wind gusts

I dashed out for a quick late arvo session on Lake Mac today. It was blowing a little which was annoying , but I made do. I tried a few new spots (for me) early on upstream along Six Mile Creek, taking a couple of half hearted strikes in the shallow water. I'll have to remember that for next time...

I putted around the usual spots until turning around for the home run near the end of Toga Bay. The sun was setting and, as usual, this is when the bass decide to get hungry. Before I left Toga Bay I had boated two undersized bass. I won't bother with photos of the tiddlers. I'll put them in the video when I get around to making it.

Around the corner from Toga Bay I had another take. This fish tapped the lure as soon as it hit the water, then took his time running with it. Once I was sure he was on I started pulling him in. To my surprise he just let me reel him in, and it felt like there was no weight on the line........... then he saw the boat. He took off suddenly and ran under the yak, dragging a good part of my rod underwater with him. I had a little give in the drag, and I think that's all that saved me from being snapped off. This guy had some power! He kept running along the other side of the yak, but luckily came up within arms reach, so he was an easy scoop into the net. At 44cm and FAT, he was a good catch. My new personal best for bass, and just shy of the NY record (I'll catch you yet Greg!).




Cheers!

Matt (Gemini)

1 comment:

  1. Great fish Matt nice fat bass in great condition they put up a good fight and that one was sneaky as well. Well done ! I've had a couple of donuts in the Mary lately with the water still flowing a bit fast and muddy. So hope I catch one soon.(before you overtake me !) Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete