Laguna longtails, again. 18Apr13

TR by Jaro

Conditions: A fine, partially cloudy day with sun patches. Light 3 to 6 knot NW winds early dying to nothing. No swell to speak of.
Participants: Sprocket, Salticrack, Kahuna, Soren, Jaro and visitor, Joe.

I arrived at the MG car park at 5.25am and Soren, Kahuna and Joe arriving shortly after. I was first out (easily and dry as did all the others) and headed for HR followed by Joe. Soren and Kahuna headed for JS.

I trolled all the way without success (the story of my day) and met up with Sprocket who was fighting a good fish using a soft plastic. Salticrack was nearby. Both had ventured out much earlier than the rest of us.

I stayed round till Sprocket landed his nice sized longtail tuna as shown on the photo below. Salticrack was soon also fighting a longtail but lost it after a while.

Sprocket with his first longtail of 2013

Meanwhile Kahuna and Soren reported a couple of big unsuccessful hits but nothing after that so they later paddled to where the action was between HR and LHR. The longtails were jumping out over a large area with the birds also covering a large area.

As I said before I had no strikes regardless of the lure I was using. Even dragging slugs through the schools did not result in a strike. Sprocket caught and released a mac tuna and it became obvious that the macs now outnumbered the longtails. I found out later that Joe had caught a longtail also. Others had strikes and short unsuccessful battles with both longtails and mac tunas. Kahuna was most disappointed with his loss as he had the fish (a big longtail, so he claims) on the line for quite a while before his line snapped.

As it appeared it would not be my day I pulled the plug at 9.00am and arrived on the beach uneventfully at about 10.00am. Some of the others arrived back, just as I was about to drive off, with no other news of success.

So the fish are still there for the taking, it is just a matter of using the right lures. Another beautiful day spent on Laguna Bay.

Jaro

No comments:

Post a Comment