Hot River Night, 08May13

TR by Eyetag
Location: Noosa River
Wind:5-10 knots swing from S/SW to E/SE
Tide: running out
Participants: Eyetag

I launched from Lions Park Noosa Heads around 9.30 pm Wednesday and had plans to fish the current line out from Ricky's. On my way through the Inner Woods Bay trolling a Gold Bomber I got a Hairtail and after some cursing, he was released.

Sticking to my plan I entered the Outer Woods and had a better strike that turned out to be a larger specimen, more cursing. As I got to the current line my rod had a quick bounce and the Bomber was gone. So while re-rigging I put a Gladiator Prawn out to drag along the bottom. I hadn't finished rigging before the Prawn was taken and I was hooked up to a nice fish. Five minutes later I landed then released a Jack around 40 cm.

Hoping there was more around and being pretty clean territory I got the 3lb outfit hoping for some fun.

Mayhem would better describe the next 3 hours. I landed 9 Jacks, 2 Bream, 4 Big Eye Trevally, 1 Flathead dropping about 15 fish and got busted off 5 times.

One of the Jacks I dropped right at the yak would've been 60cm at least (the one that got away). I kept 2 Jacks, 1 which had to be the unluckiest fish in the river that night. Somehow I got my line tangled with another while it was out and while untangling it a fish hit hard breaking the tip of my rod and my line.

Then about 20 minutes later, I hooked up and was fighting a fish when all of a sudden in came my Gladiator Prawn and it was tangled to some line. I grabbed the tangle, hand-lined it for about 20 metres and on the end was my Gladiator Prawn in the mouth of a Jack.

By now the tide had slowed and the fish went quiet so I headed home.

 photo 2Jacksoffyak_zps7c0d60e9.jpg

The top Jack was the unlucky one

 photo Brokentip_zpsf83a6035.jpg

Photo's of Jacks above and busted tip rod, by Eyetag

Cheers EyeTag.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Eyetag - amazing number of fish especially Jacks - may just have to give the river night fishing a go next time I am up. Beejay

    ReplyDelete