Sharkies, 02May13

TR by Jaro with Contribution by Pedro
Conditions: Mainly clear day with little to no wind early increasing to 8 to 10 knots then dying to nothing.
Swell: 1 to 1.5m

Participants: Yakfin, Soren, Dr Dog, Pedro and Jaro

I arrived at MG at around 5.30am with Soren and Yakfin and looked at the conditions. Gibbo was also there just to see how we would handle getting out. The sand monster was working very well beyond the end of the groyne. The sets were very irregular so timing would be more luck than good management. To be perfectly honest I was quite ready to head back home but the nerveless Soren was going to have a go so we decided to watch his efforts.

Unfortunately his luck was out as far as his timing was concerned and after bashing into and through a number of waves the valiant Soren was hit by one wave too many and over he went. However, unperturbed he immediately righted his yak, boarded it and ploughed on through the waves out to safety. You would think that this was enough to send the rest of us home but no Yakfin and I ventured out with trepidation.

I sat in the channel waiting for a possible lull but yakfin seized his moment and took off and was greeted by a smaller set which he negotiated brilliantly and got out fine. Meanwhile yours truly was waiting and waiting until I finally deemed there were no shadow lines (waves) visible and took off with adrenalin surging through my veins paddling at a furious pace and sure enough the waves appeared but not soon enough and so I got out with a wet bum but a dry top.

We decided to head for JS and just as we headed off Dr Dog had also made it through the gauntlet, proudly telling me he got through with a dry bum. We arrived uneventfully to JS and started bottom fishing. It wasn’t long before I caught a shark (released) and then had a large strike which I was sure was another shark but a big one. Fortunately it disengaged itself after a 5 minute struggle.

By this time Pedro joined us and after a short time headed for HR. We all followed at different intervals. Pedro was the most successful in that he caught a schoolie mac and 2 sweet lips plus a few sharks. I caught another shark (released) and I think the others caught a shark or two.

Simon and Soren headed home early while Dr Dog and I headed home later leaving Pedro still out there. We came across a few small bust ups in Laguna Bay of what appeared to be large long tails but had no success. Dr Dog hooked 2 sharks (making it 3 in total) near a bust up and kept one.

We both timed our return well and got back to shore upright at around 12.00 which was close to high tide. I don’t know how the others fared.

So it essentially was a day for sharks on another beautiful day on the Noosa waters.

Jaro


Contribution by Pedro



The waves were big when I was ready to launch at 4.45am so I decided on cowards corner and wheeled the yak down the beach launching opposite the surf club.

A bit of wait and picking a lull paddled out punching through a couple that went over the bow giving me a full soaking.

As I was close to the headland I headed around to the northern end of sunshine beach before trolling back and meeting up with the others at JS.

A couple of laps around the pinnacles trolling and the other guys being quiet, I decided to troll to Halls. I bottom fished picking up two grassies, a squire, and a school mac. The only surface action I saw all day was on the way back to MG at Little Halls, where some mac tuna were busting up occasionally.

The landing went well as I managed to sneak past a pretty big, active sand monster.
24k on the trip meter.

 photo P1020361_zps6f789593.jpeg
Photo of Pedro's catch

Cheers, Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment