First cast whack. 05Aug13

TR by sunshiner

Wind: Light westerly, less than 3 knots
Swell: 1m easterly
Current: none
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: sunshiner only

That first cast at 7:00am led me to believe that I was going to bag out today…

Getting out of a warm bed pre-sunrise in mid winter, even in Noosa, is always tough for me, but I felt better as I crested the hill looking down at Laguna Bay. Never get sick of that view up to DIP!

Clear sky, no wind, small swell and the car park all to myself. Hard to get a better start.


Dry bummed it but the potential was there to get very wet. The channel next to the wall is starting to reappear, but the sand bank about 2/3 of the way along the wall is still there. Being a bit out of practice I stuffed about a bit getting myself organized but was off paddling soon enough. I'd decided on Jew Shoal rather than A-Bay reef because a westerly had been blowing all night, calming down toward sunrise. A stiff westerly is not pleasant when you have to make that long paddle back to Middle Groyne from Sunshine.


Water clear, no chop, easy paddle north to Jew Shoal. A few terns and a gannet or two, but no dolphins or whales or powerboats. The westerly was still puffing gently so I headed for the western edge of the shoal, intent on drifting across toward the Pinnacles, fishing with SPs as I went. The HLP was out the back, throbbing temptingly, but attracted no attention.

Laid out my first cast and watched the 1/8 ounce jig head and SP plop down and head for the bottom, 18m below. Ten seconds later, the line tightened, drag screamed, hook pulled! Typical snapper hit on the drop! Over two hours later I still hadn't had another strike; bummer! Meanwhile, conditions were glorious. Several times I saw brief bustups, probably mac tuna; baitfish trying to get airborne to escape.

Headed homeward, arriving off the beach by 10:30am. Nearly got monstered, but the old brace did the trick and kept us upright, though I did get my head wet when we were buried in the wave as it broke right on top of me. Very refreshing, if chilly.

A-Bay reef's looking good for the next trip.

Kev Long
Sunshiner
Author Kayak Fishing Manual for iPad (click linked text to view)
Stealth Supalite X, yellow/orange

No comments:

Post a Comment