B-B-B-Barra. 22Sep13

TR by eyetag

Wind: 5-10 knot E/SE then dropping out
Current: Run out tide
Launch Point: Noosa Heads Lions Park
Participants: Eyetag

In bed 8.30pm Saturday with the alarm set for 11.00 and by 11.45 I was on my way to Ricky's current line.

It was school holidays, but the tide was ideal and there wasn't a boat in sight. On arrival at Ricky's I could hear surface activity and as I was heading through the current line off went the Gold Bomber and soon after a Big Eye Trevally was on board. Another pass and another fish but no joy this time with a Hairtail on the other end. Not wanting any more of these toothy critters I paddled a little further down stream.

I'd only gone about 100 metres when another Big Eye took a liking to my Bomber. There were fish all through the current line from Ricky's to well past the sand bags. The routine was like last weekend's, drift down with a Gladiator Prawn and troll back with a Bomber. I fished this way for about two hours for one small Jack, one Flatty and a heap of Big Eye from 25-40 cm. All the Trevally and the Flatties were released.

Although this was a lot of fun on the light gear (3lb drifting and 8lb trolling) I wanted something bigger. So off I went to spot "X" which I had been talking about recently with local Barra guru, Kim (kimbo) Vitale, who told me that he was suprised I hadn't hooked a Barra there before while trolling, that they have been a bit shy lately but it may be worth a try.

On arrival at spot "X" I did hear a couple of boofs from feeding fish and on my first pass through my Bomber was hit hard and within seconds I'd lost about 30 metres of line then it hung deep and I knew by the weight it was a big fish. Ten seconds later it was up tail walking and I could identify it as a Barra. The fight continued. Twice I paddled one handed into more open water getting away from jetties. Another two aerial displays and he was starting to tire then finally after a very tense 20 minute fight she was in the net. The Bomber had two of its trebles slightly straightened and the 30lb fluorocarbon leader was quite frayed. This was one unlucky fish and one very lucky and happy angler.

Thanks Kimbo for your advice.

The fourth hooked, second landed and first barramundi I've kept from the Noosa River in 25 years. Oh, yeah, it went 87cm.

This 43cm Jack had swallowed the Gladiator Prawn deep and couldn't be returned without the lure.

eyetag

1 comment:

  1. That barra is a cracker Ian. How did he go on the table?

    ReplyDelete