Damn, 16Dec13

Wind: Moderate Easterly turning E/SE later
Swell: Low in close building out wider
Current: Not Applicable
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: Imax

After a late night I arrived later than planned this morning. I launched around 5:30am into a nice deep channel close to the groyne. Out the back I setup my trolling spread for the day. One side had a small x-rap and the other I was trying out the lucky door prize I scored at the Stealth comp a couple of weeks back. This was a wired rig with a duster head to which I added a large Gar.

With the wind direction predicted to be E/SE I decided JS would be a good destination as it meant an easy sail there and back. I was also hoping that there may be a Spanish or two left after the others success recently.

My trolled offerings didn't get a touch on the trip to JS. There was a single boat out there already that was doing big laps trolling around the area. Coming up on the Western side of JS the sounder lit up with bait from top to bottom and would have covered a good 100m area. It was looking good.

Soon after my reel with the lucky prize rig and Gar screamed off. After furling my sail I tried to bring my second line in before worrying about the fish. After 3 good runs it was feeling like the fish may be spent and soon I got my first glimpse of a good Spaniard. I was confident for calling it over a metre and it was a very thick fish so prepared to bring it on board. At this stage the fish was out the side with the tramp and I wanted to try and bring it in on the other side. As I was passing the rod around the sail between hands the fish took one last run. Unfortunately when it did this I grabbed the reel by mistake and my finger jammed the level wind locking the reel up and causing the line to break.

Damn, I had a choice few words before re-rigging to try again. About then another 5 boats turned up and I could hear some rumbling along with ominous looking clouds in the distance. I pulled the pin and headed for home.

So not to be today after my stuff up but keen to do it again tomorrow. Who else is up for it?

Dan
Imax

No comments:

Post a Comment