Stormin's first Spanish, 24Dec13

TR by stormin, with contribution by corie m-t

Note from editor: Stormin can write and speak in at least two languages (and English is not his first language) which beats his monoglot editor, sunshiner, so I acknowledge that this TR in English would require a lot of effort from him. It's great to have him write his personal report for us and I'm so glad that I'm able to help him in describing this amazing experience: his first Spaniard from a kayak. I have made minor changes, but the sense remains the same. Well done, stormin! Here it is.

Participants: corie, stormin

Launched this morning with Corie at the eastern side of MG around 4:30am with no dramas. Sea was flatter this time compared to yesterday.

I wanted to try my luck north while Corie had JS in mind. So after setting up I made a quick radio check with Corie who was already a few hundred metres away.

Arrived at LH and still no sign of bird activity. Bottom fished there for a few minutes using pillie without a nibble. So straight to HR I went.

Arrived there and it's so alive; no need for the sounder to tell bait fish are around I can see lots of bait fish just under my yak and birds everywhere. I was so excited; trolling my favorite lure (Rapala 12 slash bait in white and a bit of orange, with wire trace). Lost one of these lures yesterday (no wire) on one solid strike and before I even touched my rod got bitten off. So this time I'm wired, as advised by sunshiner who already got two pedros this season. Doing a big donut around HR for about an hour with no strike, I got tired and bottom fished for about an hour landing three undersize fish: a grassy, a squire and an estuary cod. All went back to the water.

Received a radio call from Corie that he's heading to LH after YFT with shark encounter (editor: Corie retrieved only the head of his tuna, see pic later). Nothing is happening at this time at HR so I decided to head in via LH to meet Corie. About 500mts to the mark and my new Charter Special screams for the first time. Announced to Corie that I'm on so he paddled back to accompany me during the fight. After few more minutes I got my first pedro safe in the hatch of my revo.

Remembered what sunshiner said from the car park yesterday after the trip; he probably noticed that I'm jealous with soren's first pedro (well who wouldn't be, right? lol). He said next one will be yours mate and so I went today and he's right :)

Returned to the beach with no dramas. Fish measured 114cm. Not bad for my first and I am so happy. (Editor: and so are we, for you)

pics on beach




Cheers
Norman (stormin)




Contribution by corie m-t, as posted to our Facebook group page today

There are also a few larger sharks out there. This was 4m away from being my first yellowfin before a 6ft shark got this one, looked like a hammerhead. Kept 3 stripeys (editor: perhaps bonito?) for bait.
Stormin cleaned up again, well done mate.


No comments:

Post a Comment