S is for Salty, 05Jan14

TR by Salty
Launch Point; MG
Swell; Small to Medium
Wind; Low in close, fresh out past Granite

On arrival at 4.00am I immediately checked out the surf conditions.

Still dark, there was consistent white water on a low tide and not much break between waves, sand almost to the end of the groyne, a heavy haze all around, and, at the time no wind in the bay.

I started my paddle out in breaking light. I had to punch through a couple waves and ended up soaked which I didn't mind as it was very hot and sticky, even at just after 4.00 in the morning. I headed straight to the South to go along the shark nets, then to the East between the shark nets and the national park. I was trolling a HB gold bomber and a pintail SP taking a wide birth around the very last marker buoy of the shark nets.

Thinking I was all in the clear, I began to swing back in towards the shark nets, only to get caught up on the last marker. Initially thought great I've hooked up early. With the slight swell running, it seemed to take forever to retrieve the lure. At this point I changed to a Rapala X-Rap and on the other line a pillie with a skirt and proceeded to hug the coast about 300m off shore.

Once out past Granite the breeze kicked in, quite a fresh breeze, still no touch on my offerings, so I headed across toward JS. On arriving at the reef there was a noticeable cross swell in play, one from the north , one from the south. I re-baited the pillie and the first pass going south to north got the hit, played the fish for about 15 to 20 minutes as I only had a 12lb mono line I wasn't in a rush to get it in.

I let the fish have several good runs and at the same time was trying to bring in my other line so I didn't have a tangle up in the end. Once I got sight of the fish, I've gone to myself 'YES' my first Spanish Mack.

Sunshiner's comments on the S's (Salty) was right. It actually played on my mind to go out for a paddle after I read it. Thanks Sunshiner. Gaffed the fish, got it on board and it placed in between my legs, covered it's head with the PFD to quieten it down. To make sure I wasn't going to loose it, I tied it on to the yak by the tail. My next thought was, "Hey I've had a win, a nice fish, not the biggest by club standards, but very happy with the catch, call it quits and go in".

Back on the beach by 8.00am. Took the necessary photos as per below.


 photo 9f25607b-a977-47ae-8518-0b92679c9239_zpscf71bae2.jpg

 photo 64bad0a9-9268-407b-ac8d-8ac5ee32d48b_zps7baf4c00.jpg

 photo 4ecb1db9-95a8-43f6-a2e1-a0117cc580a1_zps31816e08.jpg


Cheers Salty

No comments:

Post a Comment