Spanish still around. 27Apr14

TR by Aussie_stu

Wind: SE approx. 10 knots
Swell: minimal
Current: at Jew Shoal, northerly
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: Soren, Stormin, Weeksie, Scater, Aussie_stu


Launched at Middle groyne about 5.30, found the swell to be just a small little shorey, so was a dry bum launch. Soren, Weeksie and I trolled out to Jew Shoal without a touch, while Stormin and Scater launched a bit later and seemed to come out closer to the National Park, again not a touch on the way out. Scater reported some bust ups pretty close to the headland which lured Soren, Stormin and myself over for a look. Unfortunately the fish dispersed each time before getting a good crack at them. Soren, Stormin and Scater kept heading round the headland towards A-Bay while I returned to Jew Shoal and started flicking some plastics hoping for a reefy, while Weeksie kept trolling jew shoal.

Not long after returning from the darkside, Scater pulled the pin while Stormin and Soren started a bit of bottom bashing. After a slow hour or so, I found myself well south of the Pinnacles mark and finally had a run on a pilly I had floating out the back. After a decent run the fish spat the hooks, bugger. About five minutes later I picked up a just legal grassy on the plastic. About this time Stormin and Soren called to say they were starting the troll back towards the beach. I think they took the bad juju with them 'cos not long after they left I had another good run on the floater, which when I set the hooks, he hit the afterburners and put in a couple of real nice runs before I managed to drag him into the yak (I took great pleasure in announcing my first pedro to the boys).


After getting him on the ice I pulled the pin too and got a little side tracked by the numerous bust ups in the bay (I think they were mainly mac tuna, but Stormin and Weeksie reported some decent fish mixed in there too).

Very easy return to the beach and I found Soren having a yak (pun intended) to Eyetag, who, after Soren refused to take another picture of one of my fish, took the pic for me. I do apologise though for afterwards I was informed by Stormin and Eyetag that I broke the cardinal rule of getting a buxom young beachgoer to hold the fish for the pics, so next time I will hopefully redeem myself.


So all in all a pretty quiet trip out, but having had three runs on Friday (no hook ups) and two today on floaters, there are still a few macks about. They don't seem too keen on the trolled baits for some reason and all the hits have come from well south of the Pinnacles.

Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment