Monster grinner and a fish with many names 15Jun14

TR by Redwood

Trip date: 15 June 2014
Participants: Redwood
Launch Site:  MG
Destination:  Jew Shoal 
Conditions: 5-8knot wind from West, 1m swell
Keen Angler Program: none

I woke up to the sound of rain at 5am, checked the BOM and saw a large rain system moving south east, but it looked like it was moving fast and would likely miss Noosa. The wind was 5 knots at DIP so the trip was on. I met Aussie Stew in the car park who told me the battery on his sounder/gps combo was dead and that he was going to hit the river even though the offshore conditions looked good, so I'd be going solo again.

The launch was easy and I was soon on my way to JS. I'd not done a long trip in a while and my arms were telling me so about 2km in. My new paddling technique is 1000 times better than my previous technique thanks to some paddling coaching from Tony down in Caloundra. Money very well spent IMO and I'd encourage all new yakkers to have a couple of lessons so you don't develop bad habits and get everything right so you can save energy and go faster and at the same time. I suspect my poor paddling technique was responsible my forearm tendon rupture.

6.30am - looking west with almost full moon in the sky
At JS looking North. A big bank of dark clouds and rain to the East

I arrived at JS and joined a single stinky for some bottom bashing. My plan was to start using plastics seriously and I had about 5 or 6 different types ready to go, however I soon discovered a ripping current heading west and I couldn't get my heaviest jig-head to the bottom. I'm not sure what the plastic pros do in these conditions, but I decided to revert to dead baits and big weights. I set up a drift with half a pillie and this was smashed immediately. The fight was unusual and the result was surprising as it turned out to be a monster Grinner. I measured it for possible record and then released it, although I'm wondering if I should have kept it? Maybe they're OK eating at that size?

Monster 60cm Grinner. Doesn't look like much here but it would have made a decent feed. This one was released. Grinners any good to eat?
I set up another drift and again the pillie was taken quickly. This time a 35cm Squire... the perfect pan size. It was now about 9am and the next few drifts produced nothing. It seems the fish had gone quiet. The stinkies didn't look like they were having much luck either. The sun had finally come out from behind the clouds and the wind was dropping, it was turning out to be a great yakking day. I did a few more 300m drifts before thinking it was time to head back. It was all very quiet and I was enjoying the sun on my face whilst browsing my HBL's to see which lucky fish was going to get a swim back to MG when suddenly I almost got tipped out of the boat. After I recovered from the fright, I grabbed the rod out of the holder and started to fight the fish. It had a few very strong by short runs and then it seemed to give up. It came to the side of the boat with zero fight in it which I thought odd for a fish that size. Perhaps it was in shock? I boated it and started to check the chart for an ID. It looked like a combination of a Snapper and a Jew Fish but I couldn't positively ID it on the water, so I'd have to ID it onshore and hope it was legal.

The paddle back to MG was uneventful except for the 'Coast Guard' using me as a marker buoy to go around... thanks for the waves guys. The landing was as benign as it gets and I had a number of curious onlookers come up for a chat on the beach.

60cm Slatey Bream (Painted sweetlip)
Very pronounced lips. Also notice the bugs coming out of it's nasal cavity... *shudder*... gives me the willies.

I emailed a few yakkers for an ID and stopped in at Davo's who called it a Morwong. Kev, Jimbo, Aussie Stew and Pedro all ID'd it as the same fish except it seemed to have a handful of different names. According to Wikipedia the name Morwong is incorrectly used in relation to this fish in Australia and the correct name is a Slatey Bream or Painted Sweetlip. From looking at the pics the Morwong seems to have a sharper V tail.

Unless anyone disagrees I'm calling it a Slatey Bream (Painted sweetlip).

Also known as Slatey Sweetlip, Australian Slatey, Blackall, Bluey, Greysweetlips, Moke, Morwong, Mother-in-law Fish, Painted Blubber-lips, Painted Sweetlip Bream, Slate Bream, Slate Sweetlips, Slatey Sweetlips, Smokey Bream, Thicklip, Thicklip Bream, Yellowdot Sweetlips.

Yaro bagged a much bigger one back in 2010.

Pic from 2010 - Jaro and a cracker Slatey Bream. Jaro I think said it was terrible eating, but I thought the one I had wasn't too bad. The kids smashed it, so must have been OK.

Aussie Stew landed a few nice flathead in the river. Another great day out. Where was everyone?

Redwood.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mate, what size jighead were you using? Usually you just go up a size till it hits bottom, I've been mainly using 1/4 and 1/2oz on JS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stew, the biggest I had was 1/2oz which was hopeless. It took 150grams / 5.2oz of lead to get to the bottom and even then it was being pulled. Perhaps too fast for placcies?

    ReplyDelete