Teewah tearaways. 01Jun14

TR by Aussie_stu

Wind: 12-15knots E
Swell: decent, but apparently smaller than last weekend
Water Temp: 24-25C
Current: N
Launch point: Teewah beach aka the boneyard
Participants: Scater, Jake, Aussie_stu and ran into Sprocket and Tarzan up there
Keen Angler: nil

After meeting Scater and Jake at the barge and loading my crap into their cars, we jumped on the first barge and hit the beach just as the sun was trying to break the horizon. The wind was a little more than the 7-8knots forecast on seabreeze, but the swell didn't look too bad and we were all pumped to get out and give it a hit, especially after seeing several good fish caught up there last week.

The launch was a little harder than MG with no real lull, just smaller waves, and with the wave zone being about 250m it meant you were bound to meet a few on the way out, Scater manned up and tried to show Jake and me how to do it, unfortunately a sneaky wave got hm and he went for a little dip before jumping back on and hammering out the back. I jumped in and started making my way through the washing machine and as luck would have it (could have been skill, but I'm not gonna claim it) each wave I met had either broken or I managed to get over it, and managed to make it out without a swim. I lost sight of jake as he came out, but he did say he had a little swim too, but eventually he made it out safely.

Once out we deployed troll baits and I started working north, while the other two boys headed south. After a about an hour of trolling (maybe more, was too busy watching the swell than my watch) I hadn't had a touch, but the boys reported over the radio that Scater had a Spaniard on board and Jake had a Spangled Emperor that he released, after hearing that I started working south until I came across the boys, again I had no touch, but did see another yakker boat a Spanish.

The boys decided to head in for a break and to ice down the Spanish, so I took off north again. This is where things for me started getting hectic, after about a kay or so I could see some birds working and from a distance could see some good sized fish clearing the water chasing the bait. I started trolling towards them when the smaller slimie I had out got hit and took off on a ripper of a run, unfortunately what I suspect was a decent mack bit through the wire trace and took home a new piercing.

After rerigging with another slimie I started out towards the bait school again when no more than 5 minutes later I got hit again, this one stayed connected and had a good first run before dogging it down deep. Thinking it was a tuna I put a bit of hurt on it and then to my surprise a nice cobia popped up. After another last ditch run I managed to gaff him and wrestle him into the cooler bag (lucky you got in last week Redwood, this one would've beaten the previous record, but not yours).


I radioed in to Scater about the cobe then turned around to see the bait school was only about 10 metres away and I was drifting straight into it. I quickly tied on a 3" white plastic and flick it into the school, I let it sink down hoping for something big lurking underneath, when bang, I got hit and off it went. After a spirited fight it started circling under me and I thought I might have picked up a small tuna, but then up came a nice 55cm Cale Cale trevally (a record maybe?).


After dropping him in the bag I fired another cast towards the bait ball and let it sink, bang again, this time up popped a nice keeper squire, but with enough fish in the bag I dropped him back. The next few casts resulted in a nice spangled emperor and a grassy, both keepers, but both went back. Was very strange throwing keeper reefies back eh.


sounder screen shot

After this point I had drifted off the fish so I paddled back up to them and fired another cast in, this time I kept it high and fast and came up tight to a good fish. Initially it went deep, then took off on a screamer run before showing its colours by circling under my yak for a good 10 minutes before I could get a good tail hold on him, a nice tuna of about 110cm.


By this time I was stuffed so I started paddling south towards the cars, coming across sprocket on the way. Had a good chat, he had 2 Spaniards in the hold and while we were paddling along his mate hooked up again.

After finally making it to the exit point and stowing all my gear, I started making my way back into the washing machine. Again as luck (or skill) would have it I managed to miss any of the monsters that were lurking and even surf a wave or two in before finally going in when the nose hit the bottom. Nothing like a dunking in a foot of water to bring you back to earth eh?

Hopefully Scater will post up some info on what happened while the boys were off on their own.

2 comments:

  1. Not much more to tell from my side, it was a day of swims for me. I took two on the way out, one on the strike from my spaniard (thankyou rod leash) and another on the way back in. I cut the day short as I wanted to stay close to Jake - he was feeling a bit crook after a big drink of seawater on the launch. I've made a short video of my trip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-PeJ4QyCV0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stu/Sam/Dave

    That trevally was a surprise, and the others were deserved delights. Great times lads! Wish Icould be there to share the spoils.

    ReplyDelete