Slow day on Sunshine Reef 26Jul14

TR by Redwood
Trip date: 27 July 2014
Participants: Weeksie, Redwood
Launch Site:  Doggie Beach
Destination:  Sunshine Reef 
Conditions: no wind early, light wind later. 1m swell.
Keen Angler Program: none



I arrived at the doggie beach cark park before 7 and before Weeksie. I checked the launch conditions which were favourable. Weeksie arrived and we both managed to get out easily. I was keen to fish North Sunshine as I'd not done so before and it was only a 2.5km paddle. Weeksie was going to checkout a few marks he had. I headed toward North SSR but found my GPS compass was all over the shop (later fixed this at home by recalibrating the unit), so I changed tac and headed for some boats about 1km east. On the way there were a few surface bust-ups but I couldn't make out the type of fish--looked large, perhaps mullet? I asked one of the stinkies how it was going and they said they could see fish on the sounder but nothing was biting. Not a good sign and looked like the trend of the previous day was continuing, new moon or no new moon. The stinky was pulling anchor as they'd heard the charters and others were fishing wide. They were heading 4km east and I was not about to follow even with the offer of a tow.

I headed out toward North Sunshine and found Weeksie and we fished a mark of his for some time without so much as a touch. Weeksie decided to go and try A-Bay reef and I joined him. The bites did eventually come on around 10am but I was not able to hook-up and lost the only decent encounter of the morning. I landed a grinner and Weeksie a small unknown reefie. The only action was on pillies and bonito, with squid and placcies being ignored.

The green monster had been throttling me for some time as the swell was bigger than forecast and it was very close together. My home made burly of water, banana and acid didn't seem to be drawing the fish so I decided to pack it in and Weeksie did the same.

Sunshiner had been in contact on and off most of the morning and he kindly came down to the beach to help us find a good spot to come in. We both landed without too much drama, only flipping our unmanned yaks on the last shore break.

Weeksie dodging the shore break at Doggie Beach
Redwood going hard trying to stay ahead of the waves

1 comment: