Sweeties North and South 30Sep14

TR by Redwood
Trip date: 30 Sept 2014
Participants: Pedro, Tunny, Redwood
Launch Site:  Middle Groyne
Destination:  Little Halls / Sunshine Reef
Conditions: Slight breeze early, little to no current, sunny
Keen Angler Program: none

A flash mob appeared in the MG car park at 4.15am consisting of Pedro, Tunny and myself. We'd all decided last minute to get out on the big blue given it was predicted to be a ripper day and that fish were caught the day before by Tunny and Diesel (the latter bagging a beaut 50cm Snapper). Apologies to Jaro for not confirming our intensions.

Pedro had Cobia on the brain and was planning to head to Sunshine Reef in search of them. Tunny and I had to be back on the beach by 8.30am so we opted for Little Halls as it's the closest and it's were Tunny snagged a couple the day before. The launch was dead easy.

We trolled HBL's to Little Halls without any action and once there setup our drifts. Tunny is a lure and plastics man only, whilst I am still hedging my bets with plastics and bait. I'm still to catch something on a softie, although I did get a few nibbles on a white placcie, so at least I know first hand that there is some interest. I was flicking a placcie out front and trailing a large pillie bait behind. After a few drifts the pillie was smashed by what turned out to be a small bream. Greedy guts. And after a few more the pillie was taken again, this time by a 37cm sweetlip; my first.

I radioed Pedro to see how he was going and despite poor comms managed to make out that he'd bagged two keeper sweetlip.

Unfortunately it was time for Tunny and I to head in. I think if we had some more time we could have seen a few more fish caught. We trolled HBL's back.

Just off the groyne while reeling in my gear I foul hooked what I think is a School Mackerel [see correction]. I don't know exact size but would have guessed around 30-40cm, so fish was released. This a sign of the pelagics returning? I've heard from a couple of people that they think the pelagics will come earlier this year because of the warm water. Time will tell.

[Correction] - The fish below is not a School Mackerel but a Needleskin Queenfish which has a typical size of 30cm, no size restrictions and a 20 combined bag limit. Pity I don't know my fish better as this was a keeper.

30-40cm Needleskin Queenfish caught off MG (fish was released)
37cm Sweetlip. These are good eating fish, better than Snapper.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not 100% sure that's a mackerel mate, looks a bit like a juvenile queenie to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Scatter may be on the money with his comment on the Queenie. I have caught a few school mackerel and there appears to be little likeness to the mackeral.

    Good on you for giving it a go, and a few rewards for effort. Will see you soon hopefully.

    I had a bad accident unloading an AI hull ten weeks ago and was badly injured, so haven't been fishing /paddling since (heavy suckers). I have almost completed the construction of the world's best and safest kayak loader/unloader (particularly for plastic boats such as Hobies, etc). This should eliminate any chance of future injuries.


    I will post the photos on NY, AKFF, TheYakShed and KFDU. We aren't getting any younger, but we can still catch fish (some of us)

    ReplyDelete