Doctor Dog breaks his duck 24.11.2014

Trip report 24.11.2014
Doctor Dog
Wind Light NW 3-5 km/hr
Sea light wind chop from north
Swell less than half metre north
Keen Angler program - 4 frames to donate
Tide low
When I arrived at the car park at 5.30 am I was alone save a couple of early morning walkers and council workmen - I made my way down to the beach and tried to power up my radio. I was hoping to contact Coastguard once they opened at 6.00am or for any late arrival Noosa Yakkers.
Sadly my radio would not power up in spite of being on the charger all night. By the light of my torch I saw there was some moisture inside on the screen - bummer - phone in 2 zip lock bags and carry EPIRB ( fall back safety position for solo paddle).
I launched on the western side of the rock wall in the usual channel which with the low tide and minimal swell and wave action made for an easy passage out beyond the break.
I deployed 2 HB lures and commenced my paddle to Jew Shoal at about 6.10 am.
There was a little boat activity in Laguna Bay with power boats heading wide punching into the short chop and a few outrigger canoe crews and surf club ski paddlers training close in to the headland towards the outer bays. The chop was a hangover from the previous day’s blustery Nor easter and now the morning air was almost dead calm making for hot paddling as I continued out to my marks. Still 400 metres short of the Pinnacles a large ray cleared the water some 100 metres distant and slapped down with a thud. Perhaps the same ray or similar that Kev saw 2 days later .
There were no fellow yakkers in view when I arrived at JS just a dory trolling in a similar pattern to myself; neither of us attracting any fishy attention. I spent an hour trolling round close-in on the shoal but was frustrated not to get any strikes or see any fish or bait aggregations on the sounder. Time for a change of tack so I headed to some of the wider marks to the North and North west of the Shoal proper and whilst making this traverse I noticed a light covering of bait close to the bottom and occasional aggregations of larger fish . With the drift taking me straight back to the pinnacles I paddled on a little further NW then put out the drogue and settled in to flick my 100 mm “nuclear chicken “ sp with a light weight jig head . I left another sp on my trailing outfit .
Shortly after 7.30 at the commencement of my first drift the SP was slammed shortly after I started the first interrupted retrieve. My new light weight rod and reel combo with 6 kg braid and 9 kg Leader worked a treat to control the 40 cm pinkie as it made its way reluctantly from the depths onto my lap for a towel wrap and “coup de gras” . No on board pics today as I forgot my camera.
My second drift produced a couple of bites but no hook ups and a lost SP - some little nibblers down there - then the third drift produced a sensational take almost as soon as the SP hit the water so much so I did not have the bail arm over before line started peeling off at an alarming rate . After some very solid runs and a serious struggle with the drag getting tightened mid way so I could make some headway , I was able to slide 58 cm of glorious snapper onto the yak.
“One more drift then I’m going home “ I thought to myself . At the top of the drift I changed my trailing rig to another “ Nuclear chicken “ from the previous prawn pattern and I settled back to flicking out the other outfit . Then away went the trailing outfit and a handsome 48 cm came to the yak after putting up a respectable fight.
Time to head home with a trailing HB 120 Laser Pro and vague thoughts of a Cobia. I was enjoying the now freshening nor’easter and the small swell fro the run back to MG when my troll outfit screamed in protest with ratchet and drag protesting as a big strong fish peeled off 50 metres of heavy braid before I could get the rod from the holder . I furiously tried to keep some pressure on my quarry but the line seemed to go dead and I felt I was retrieving lure only but then at the yak a silver flash flew off past the bow into the distance in the distinctive speed and power of a spanish mackerel. Eventually I had my fish circling beside the kayak but was disappointed to see a treble in the cheek and in the gill plate with nothing looked into the jaw.
I fluffed my first gaff shot and was lucky not to lose the fish so when it present me with a second shot I buried my too lightweight gaff midline and just behind the pectorals and had my first spaniard of the season pinned.
My normally organised deck space was a tangle of gear so I raised the waddy and subdued the 115 cm spaniard before removing hooks and applying a tail line.
My recent fishing efforts have been disappointing to say the least so to have such a productive fun morning out and be back on the beach for an easy return at 9.30 pm reminded me of the magic of Laguna Bay kayak fishing. There were no keen fish wranglers on the beach for photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment