Glassy... 09Nov14

TR by DeeCee
Trip date: 9th November 2014
Participants: DeeCee
Launch Site:  EMD Launch Area
Conditions: Glassy
Keen Angler Program: None

Seabreeze had predicted light winds for today and seeing I hadn't been down to Ewen Maddock Dam for a few weeks it seemed like a great day to re acquaint myself with one of my fav fishing locations.

Was in the car park before 4.45am and it was already a hive of activity with a number of yakkers busy loading their yaks with bits & pieces.

I'd loaded the Old Town Loon up last night as I wanted to test it on a decent body of water instead of the skinny waterways I'd been using it on of late and it didn't disappoint.  I'm just loving the simplicity of it all...a paddle, rod, rod holder, a couple of lures, pliers and a net and I'm away....

Threw out old faithful and headed across the dam to the southern side, no real reason just the way it happened.  Once over there turned right and followed the edge, just outside the weed line (most of the time).

As I headed around the first corner the rod buckled over and line tore off...this fish didn't want to come anywhere near the yak and for a couple of minutes there I thought I had a monster on.  When he was finally landed I found the hooks embedded in the side of the fishes head, just behind the eye.  He was coming in sideways and probably the reason he felt like a beast.

 
 Headbutting the lure must be the new 'in' thing to do because the next two smaller Bass caught did exactly the same thing!

I stopped and talked to a couple of the regulars on the next point where the build up of weed in the dam was discussed, it's thick that's for sure and the prime spot for the fish to hang out but a nightmare to cast & retrieve lures.

After that I headed over to the northwest with an idea to hit a couple of wood stacks under the water there.  First run through I trolled past and picked up fish no 4, this one actually had the lure in it's mouth, obviously not part of the 'in' crowd.


Spent some time with a vibe trying to entice fish out of the piles of timber sitting on the Dam floor picking up a small Bass about 25cm.

With time was running out I reverted back to the trolling lure for the trip back to the launch point.

One big loop of the area and was heading back over the stacks of timber when the rod went off...this thing was peeling the line off, a nice honest fight and a few minutes later fish no 6 was landed, a stonker...another one from the 'old school', lures are to be eaten not headbutted...


A glorious day on the water, a few fish caught, home by 8.30am with a coffee & scones waiting...life is pretty good!

Cheers

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment