Longtail on the current line at Little Halls: 11 May 2015

TR by Tunny
Trip date: 11 May 2015
Participants: Tunny
Launch Site:  MG
Conditions: Wind SW to WSW less than 10 knots with occasional stronger gusts.  Tide low at 8.10 am.  Current towards the SE
Keen Angler Program: Nothing donated

I loaded my yak on the car the night before, but was unsure if I would be going as the wind forecasts were for 10-15 knots only falling below 10 knots by mid morning.  But in the morning the actual wind at both Double Island Point and Cape Moreton were well below 10 knots so I headed out at 6.45 am.  The launch was easy as the swell had dropped to around 1 metre.

From the beach there were no signs of any bird activity so following Eyetag's success at Little Halls the previous day I opted to head there trolling my Halco 120. There were no bust-ups or signs of birds all the way to Little Halls so on approaching the reef I found the current line that was clearly marked by a strip of foam, and followed this towards the beach.
Foam on the current line from Little Halls towards the beach
After trolling along the current line for about 15 minutes the reel started screaming.  This has got to be one of the best sounds on earth, so next time I will record it and if it tops the charts I will use the proceeds to pay for my fishing habit!  After a good fight the fish started circling below the kayak, a sign that it was a tuna rather than a mackerel and a short while later it was gaffed and safely in the hatch.

Longtail going into the hatch
With still no signs of birds or surface action I decided to continue trolling along the current line.  So I turned around and followed the foam back past Little Halls and for another 2  kilometres towards the National Park, then back again towards Little Halls.  Without any further success and in need to a break from paddling I then switched to jigging a soft plastic as I drifted back from Little Halls towards the National Park. The current was fairly strong so I used my sea anchor while drifting and managed to stay on the foam line with using only foot peddles and not paddling.  After drifting about 2 kilometres from Little Halls I decided to turn around and paddle back trolling the Halco.

Following the current line towards the National Park
On approaching Little Halls there was some bird action and a few bust-ups.  I paddled from one bust-up to the next but they were out of reach and did not last long.  Eventually I got close enough, saw the Longtails busting at the surface and cast my 30g Halco Twisty.  I hooked up on the first cast.  The fight lasted longer than the first one as I was using my lightweight snapper rod but the fish spat the hook just below the kayak. The hooks on the Halco Twisty are quite small so I am considering switching to one size larger (has anyone done this and if so what hooks do you recommend?)

I could not get close to another bust up but did have several attempts.  Then by 11 am things went quiet and I headed back to MG.  The beach landing was easy.

Second Longtail for the season
The family enjoys sushi, so my son Trevor produced this Tuna Nigiri.  Delicious!!

Tuna nigiri

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, tunny. Screaming reels by Noosa Yakkers would be a big hit. Very informative report. Thanks

    ReplyDelete