Marlin, spotty and snapper. 12Jan16


TR by jaro, microbe, tickey and bogey, with some editorial, photo and movie input from sunshiner


Wind: calm
Swell: about 1m SE
Water temp: 26.7°C
Tides: Low 02:52am (0.26m); High 09:28am (2.10m)
Current: no info
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Surface action: Heaps, mainly spotty macs
Participants: jag-one, diesel, jaro, weeksie, microbe, tickey, noddy, bogey, prowler1, isobar(?)

### Jaro at Halls Reef

Conditions: in a word, perfect.

Four of us (Diesel, Jag-one, Tickey and I) arrived at 3.45am at the car park and we were on the water before 4.15am. We all headed for Halls Reef via Little Halls Reef with Tickey and I going directly to the marks while diesel and jag-one went further out to sea.

The trip out was uneventful. We arrived at HR where stink boats were already present. Tickey and I parted company somewhat and as luck would have it Tickey found himself near a bust up. I don't know how many times Tickey cast his slug (but it was not many) when he hooked up (talk about beginner's luck). He played the fish like a pro and after a short tussle gaffed it expertly and boarded a nice sized spotty. To say he was chuffed would be an understatement. As I was nearby and watched it all, I went over and took some photos to record this momentous occasion.

Jaro's photo.

Unfortunately this was the last of the action at Halls Reef. There were many bustups and much bird activity but no matter what slug I used the fish would not take any, even when they were pulled through the bust ups. All the others had the same experience. Yet Jag-one and I could see many spotties directly below us. Baitfish were everywhere but were very small so maybe a 10 gram slug was needed.

Tickey and diesel left for home around 8.00am. Jag-one and I persisted for another hour or so before calling it quits. The return trip was also uneventful.

### Microbe's marlin

I launched more or less with the rest of the group and decided to head towards Jew Shoal as I was keen on trying to get an elusive Spanish. I wandered around there without any luck chasing the bait fish and birds for about an hour.

Then, slowly paddling in along the headland my trolled pillie got grabbed. I fish with two Stradic reels, one 8000 and one 5000 model. In this case I was maybe a little lucky and it was the 8000 that went off.

I was extremely disappointed in myself for not having had the GoPro on board! It's the last time I will do this out there when there is any potential for excitement (editor: that potential is always there).

The marlin managed 11 full jumps with some that seemed to just hang in the air in the most epic of experiences I have ever had on a kayak. Total fight to get the fish towards the kayak was around 45 minutes, had a lot of line out and only 20 lb leader.

I intended to get the fish within distance to get a nice shot (diesel had paddled during this time an enormous distance to come to my aid with a camera!- his effort was greatly appreciated).

Before he arrived the fish just dived deep and stayed on the bottom, not really circling just holding position, I backed the drag off to very little and the fish just sat there and held position. Perfectly healthy as far as I was concerned. He was just cruising here with hardly any drag on for around 10 minutes. Suddenly everything just went slack and I thought he was off. I began to reel and could feel weight; maybe he had been eaten by something bigger? The fish then basically just floated to the surface, with no chance to recover.

I was elated and saddened and overjoyed all at the same time, a fantastic fight and a beautiful fish that I really wanted to watch swim away. For those who heard me on the radio, apologies for my over exuberant language at times, for me it was just a phenomenal experience and one I won't forget in a hurry.

Oh, I also saw a large sunfish. I have only ever seen a picture of one in a book and I also managed to get enough blue bottle parts around my line that my hand looks pretty interesting.

Cheers, microbe

### Tickey's trip

I think I caught the fish at Halls Reef (Jaro will know). I had trolled a Rapala from just past the river mouth without reward, past Little Halls etc.

There was a bit of surface action… I think it was spotties busting up after small bait fish, and a few birds. Jaro suggested slugs. On my third cast or so I let it sink before winding in at speed and got my take. Fortunately it was well hooked with the treble so I could deal with it with my inexperienced gaff work! And it was in the hatch.

That was the only action that I saw as far as spotties being landed including the stink boats. There were numerous surface bustups but they seemed to be feeding on very small bait fish. 20 to 30 stink boats later seemed to resort to bottom bashing due to spotties either being scarce or fussy with what they were feeding on.

Conditions were beaut. Glassy surface with little or the slightest breeze. Negligible surf… ideal for a first trip! Approx 13 or 14 km; not sure as I only switched off the GPS at home on 18.5km. (Have to polish up on all of these issues).

I have a few things to fine tune after the first trip. Still battling with my fish finder. Must improve radio methods.

Legs collapsed when I got off the yak (editor: see embedded movie). Time for a nanna nap shortly before tennis!! I am bushed!!

A very enjoyable first trip out in perfect conditions. A fish certainly helps!

Thanks again for all of the assistance!

Cheers
Tickey

### Bogey's comments

Thanks for all the information and help from Noosa Yakkers today - esp Kev.

I'm situated at Kawana Island so I have plenty of good fishing on my back door but decided to venture up to see how you guys get amongst the pelagics.

Had my radio tuned to No.9 and could here all the activity and that kept me interested trolling big slimies around Jew Shoal and hoping for a change of diet away from my usual Snapper and Sweetlip.

Unbelievably - a nice big Snapper (editor: see beach pic lower down) stole my last slimey and sacrificed him/her self to the dinner table.

So I STILL don't know how you do it up there!

Will try again soon.

Cheers, Mark (Bogey on here and Yakshed)

Beach pics/movie by sunshiner

Movie, tickey's beach arrival


Tickey with his first ever yak caught fish, first trip

Tickey's fish on the mat

Microbe's marlin

On the 160cm long too-short mat, with supplementary measure device.

173cm, same shot as above but zoomed in and annotated. No record, but equalling scottyD's record established late December 2015.

Bogey's nice snapper, taken on a trolled slimey mac, at Jew Shoal.

Job done using my iPad, in my easy chair. sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment