Harry and kev, JS, 28Oct08

From: "kevin long"
Subject: Fishing today -- 28oct08
Date: Tuesday, 28 October 2008 12:20 PM

Hi Yakkers

Well, I reckon I must have lost my mojo somewhere. Today was the third time out for me in 8 days and again, for the third time in a row, I didn't boat a keeper table fish -- in fact I didn't hook any fish at all. I can't remember the last time I went out to JS and came home without catching anything at all!

Tide: High 0726 -- 1.83; Moon: New moon tomorrow.

Harry and I fronted at 0500. 'Twas a perfect morning, light southerly initially, clear sky except for a few puffy clouds, low swell. Dolphins playing around just inshore of the shark net, etc, etc.

I made the first cast of my soft plastic out at the reef at 0555 as we made good time out to the reef, aided by the slight breeze. Harry opted to use bait, a fortunate choice, as he actually caught several fish (mumble, mumble, %#@^^*).

One of the strange things out there today was that drift was almost non-existent. There must have been an easterly current opposing the 5-10kn SE breeze as I noticed on several occasions that the drogue was filled and fully deployed, but the GPS was telling me that I wasn't moving toward or away from the waypoint I was monitoring. I was "hovering" over the same area for up to 10 minutes at a time.

Harry reported fish but I couldn't buy a bite (not even a reefie, although one of my soft plastics was severely mauled by some tiddler or other). I had to leave early anyway, so pulled the pin at 0810 after taking this great pic of Harry with a small but keeper snapper. He also had a small sweetlip and a small flathead at this time, and had released an undersize snapper.

Harry does it again. The photographer wasn't pleased.

I trolled a one of my deadliest lures all the way home, but got nothing, nada. By 0945 I was back in the office, dealing with emails!

How'd you go Harry?

And yes, I'm keen to go again soon. Today's trip demonstrates that it is possible to have a paddle out to JS and back and spend a couple of hours fishing and still get home/to work at a very reasonable hour. Might do it more often.

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment